Diving in Corolla, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottpops

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I am heading to NC in August and staying in Corolla, NC. I am only an open water cert. diver so far but I've heard that on the outer banks of NC the wrecks are pretty deep and dangerous. Should I look to get my advanced ow before then? (I want to do that soon anyway) Does anyone have any advice on where to go or places to contact? Thanks! :banana:

Corolla is a good distance from the most popular NC dive destinations. Most of the press in travel literature and glossy mags goes to Morehead City, Wilmington, and Hatteras.

There are a couple of established dive ops in the Nags Head area, which would be the closest ones to Corolla. The diving in Nags Head is a little less chamber of commerce than some of the southern areas, but there is still plenty to see.

I would recommend some ocean/boat experience, Nitrox, and some deeper dives under you belt if you want to get the most out of the trip.

Yeah I have about 12 ocean dives under my belt but they have all been in Florida. I did one wreck dive at 60ft but that's all so far. So you would suggest me getting as much exp as I could before the trip to get the full experience? Where is your favorite place to dive in NC? Because I think I can still change some of the trip if the southern parts are that much better.

I think Cape Hatteras would be a day trip from Corolla, hey I do it from Va. Beach.
But Nags Head isn't too bad, check out Bill at Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina, he can get you on some decent wrecks in not too deep of water without the real long boat ride.
Hatteras is some good diving & I think it rivals the further south stuff, (before I get rammed here I think everyone knows my infinity with MHC & Wilmington, & yes I love diving there). You can get with Johnny & Amy at Outer Banks Diving & they do set a schedule to some of the shallower wrecks.
I would highly recommend AOW (not because it makes you a better diver, but it will help) & Nitrox (which will help a lot). Get some diving in, but in all honesty I don't see diving in Florida preparing you for NC.
I prefer NC, but not everyone likes the long rough boat rides that it entails most times, but the end result is worth it in my limited view.

I dive NC as often as I possible and agree with Rad Diver get AOW. Conditions in NC can change quickly, the more experience the better. Staying in Corolla and being a first timer I would recommend Bill at OBX diving in Nags Head. Runs a very tight operation and will put a dive master in the water with you if you want that extra comfort level. Wrecks in Nags Head are not quite as deep as they are in Hatteras however the water temp is a little cooler generally and vis is not quite as spectacular but still pretty good.

Diving NC is a hit or miss experience. Bill runs the wrecks Advance and Jackson which would both be excellent NC first time dives. I think both are about 60-70 fsw. Once you get some experience and comfort at depth, head South......... t

Back
Top Bottom