Diving In Connecticut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the rain this year has killed lake vis in CT
I think all the lawn fertilizer leaching into the lakes has been killing the visibility in CT lakes. Everyone pays for lawn services these days perfect lawn, no bugs lawn sprinklers.... We’ve been slowly killing the lakes for a generation. The same process that has been at work on LIS.

You can’t have nice things if you aren’t willing to take care of them. That’s why they don’t allow phosphates in detergents anymore. Billions get spent to up grade sewage treatment plants to minimize hypoxic events in LIS. Water in LIS is much cleaner than it was in the 1960s, but lakes are having a hard time.

No doubt and long term that is a big factor. Extended periods of rain or no rain in the short term also affect lake vis, at least in the lake I dive in.

True about the short term, but Candlewood and Squantz Pond were regularly visited dive spots in the 1970s, but you are probably one one the few I have heard of diving the lake lately.

My lake diving these days is at Lake Quassapaug, spring fed with low speed limit imposed in the summer months. Can have excellent vis but not so much this year.
My last dive in Squantz Pond had to have been 30 years ago and I don't recall the viz being very good back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom