Diving in Chankanaab Marine Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any info about diving in Chankanaab park? We will just have one day in Cozumel during our cruise and have always heard that the park is great- but we haven't been there, and don't know about the diving- have heard that there are onsite operators and guides, though. If anyone can help with info, that would be great! Thanks
Foo

Foo:
Does anyone have any info about diving in Chankanaab park? We will just have one day in Cozumel during our cruise and have always heard that the park is great- but we haven't been there, and don't know about the diving- have heard that there are onsite operators and guides, though. If anyone can help with info, that would be great! Thanks
Foo

You can rent your gear right there at the park or bring your own. There is a shop right on the beach. The dive there is good but not as good as the reefs

Thanks, Rooster... Do you know if they have guides, or are we on our own? This will be my first dive after certification. Would you recommend doing it this way? I kind of hate to feel rushed about getting to the right place with gear, etc, and getting back on the cruise ship after going out on a boat dive. I've also read that the ship's excursion dives are usually on cattle boats, and I really don't want my first dive to be that way, either. So, we thought this might be a good option. My husband is a certified diver with a little experience (some in Coz, also). I'd welcome your or anyone else's opinion on this. Thanks again,
Foo

If you are only going to be there one day I would not dive at the park. IMO you would be better served to dive with a boat operator and get several different sites in. The park is nice but there are many nicer dives in Coz. If I could only pick one site to dive in one day it would not be the park.
Just my .02 worth

Foo, you should not rush this, and probably get outfitted locally and have a local dive guide with you when you go in.

For what it is worth, I will be in Cozumel Jan 3-10 near the downtown cruise ship pier, and can help you find a local dive operator. When are you coming down? :banana:

We will be in Coz on Feb. 2. But thanks for the offer! We've been to Cozumel several times, and my husband has been there diving with Dive Paradise, and Scubagamma (we've been unable to contact them). My main thoughts about this were:
1. I've heard it's nice, easy, shallow diving- sounds appealing for my first time in salt water.
2. We wouldn't have to try to meet deadlines with a dive boat, or deadlines getting back on the ship.
3. We have our own gear, except won't take weights or tanks- will have to rent them.
4. I had read somewhere on the internet that guides and rental equipment were available there- I do want to go with a guide for the first time.
5. We will be doing boat dives in Roatan, Belize and Cancun for the remainder of the trip, and I thought this might just get me used to being in the ocean.
6. I DON'T want to go diving with a huge group for my first experience.

Now, my reasons may be alllllll wrong, and I can handle it if I need correction. Evidently, those who have replied so far think that boat dives would be better, and we can certainly do that. Thanks to those who have replied thus far!! Please continue!
Foo

I find the park good for some snorkeling i wouldnt dive there its not worth it all the reefs are to shallow from what i remember

Foo:
We will be in Coz on Feb. 2. But thanks for the offer! We've been to Cozumel several times, and my husband has been there diving with Dive Paradise, and Scubagamma (we've been unable to contact them). My main thoughts about this were:
1. I've heard it's nice, easy, shallow diving- sounds appealing for my first time in salt water.
2. We wouldn't have to try to meet deadlines with a dive boat, or deadlines getting back on the ship.
3. We have our own gear, except won't take weights or tanks- will have to rent them.
4. I had read somewhere on the internet that guides and rental equipment were available there- I do want to go with a guide for the first time.
5. We will be doing boat dives in Roatan, Belize and Cancun for the remainder of the trip, and I thought this might just get me used to being in the ocean.
6. I DON'T want to go diving with a huge group for my first experience.

Now, my reasons may be alllllll wrong, and I can handle it if I need correction. Evidently, those who have replied so far think that boat dives would be better, and we can certainly do that. Thanks to those who have replied thus far!! Please continue!
Foo

Sounds like you want to go nice and slow . So I would sugest go ahead and dive the park and get one of the guides there to go with you to make you feel more comfortable in the salt water until you are comfortable on your own. The park is a nice leisure dive and you should have no problems. Enjoy the dive :thumb:

Just returned from a cruise that went to Cozumel, where I dove with Eagle Ray Divers for the second time. First off they are great people and they really care about their divers and their needs. I first heard about them from a recomendation on this board last summer and can say that despite some time problems the first time I dove with them they were extremely flexable and as the owner of a service buisness the way they handled the problem impressed me (by the way the time problem was NOT their fault). On my recent trip I dove with several " Resort divers" (non certified) and they were very well set up for handling this as well as tailoring the day to my needs (wanted a three tank dive but was talked into a two tank dive due to time constrants and they even gave us a ride back to the boat to be sure we had enough time. They also always have a divemaster\guide in the water with you.

While I'm sure the park will be nice the reefs off of Cozumel are stunning, especially Palancar and Santa Rosa or even Cederal Pass. Good luck, you can't make a bad decision so enjoy.

Yes, Chankanaab Park has onsite gear rental and shore diving guides (who, by the way, you must use (or bring your own DM) since the new regulations of '03). It is reasonably priced.

If you wish to boat dive instead, the following ops will work around your cruise ship schedule:

Blue XT Sea Diving http://bluextseadiving.com/ (My first choice. Tell Christi that I sent you)

Dive With Martin http://www.cozumel-diving.net/martin/

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom