Diving in Chankanaab Marine Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned previously, you must get a guide ($20 per dive) and the tanks are more than twice the cost of those elsewhere ($16 vs $6). The worst part is that the reef in the park is covered in algae (ick!) I have heard speculation that this is caused by the dolphin enclosure near by. Whatever the reason, it is pretty hairy. The only good things to see are the statues that have been placed there. There are better and cheaper shore dives to be found on the island.

blawler1:
As mentioned previously, you must get a guide ($20 per dive) and the tanks are more than twice the cost of those elsewhere ($16 vs $6). The worst part is that the reef in the park is covered in algae (ick!) I have heard speculation that this is caused by the dolphin enclosure near by. Whatever the reason, it is pretty hairy. The only good things to see are the statues that have been placed there. There are better and cheaper shore dives to be found on the island.

There is another attraction there - the cavern opening. It's an opening (2 or 3 of them, actually) into a flooded room the size of a small house where there is a halocline and some pretty good sized tarpon cruising around. The cavern itself runs back quite a ways under the island, but you can go in and out of the room without losing the light from the outside.

Thanks to all who replied. I do value your opinions and experience! I received a couple of very nice pm's too, with recommendations. Special thanks to TeamHeatWave for all the great pics! After weighing it all out, we've decided to go ahead and dive in the park with a guide. I do realize that there are probably more exciting and "better" / deeper dives to be had in Cozumel. But Rooster is right- I do want to take it nice & easy on my first dive. I think I've read it here to know your limits & dive your limits? That's what I intend to do. The next day after Cozumel, I will get to dive with a boat operation in Roatan. Then Belize the next day. Then Cancun/Isle Majures the next. I'm going to get plenty of excitement- how can I complain about that? I will give you a full report on the park when I return. But I suspect that I will probably be happy in blue water anywhere! I asked my dive instructor where is his favorite place to dive. He said, "Every place I've been". Love it.
Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom