• by boat

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • by beach

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, that is the area I was referring to mainly. It does seem like the steps go in both directions. Moss Cove is a nice little hike too, but not as far to walk to your car.

Fisherman's Cove, Crescent Bay are a couple more of my favs as well.

You think shaws is long?

Then you havent dove Crystal cove state beach. Its 3 times as long up hill.

Andy

its north laguna. Great dive but your booties better double as hiking boots!

Trymixdiver,
Is Crystal Cove in the same proximity as Shaw's? (How much further north?) Being conveniently close to Laguna Sea Sports is another plus for diving those coves.

It is north of Cresant bay a couple of miles at the most. Im pretty sure you have to pay to park there, its a marine reserve. They do have outside showers to rinse yourself and gear off at the top of the stairs, but its a very long walk. The term divesherpa comes to mind. its almost an expedition. No to brag, but in my younger days i dove it with 2 genisis 100s and a deco bottle. however i would never do it again.

Theres no beach access, but before you get to Crystal Cove theres a surfing spot called Abalone Point. I did dive it a few times but the swim is half a mile. You have to enter at cystal cove and swim to the next point south ( abalone point). You can walk down the beach to the point in your gear but its a hell of a walk in the sand. Only dive there on a flat calm day or else your wasting your time. its not a surfing spot for the small waves hint hint.

this may help you:

all those old homes on the beach that had been in the news about there lease expireing. The only true beach homes from the 50's and 60's that were left in laguna. All those homes were sitting on the beach at abalone point. They lost the battle to stay and were all evicted. It was big news here, i hope you remember.

Andy

We stopped by Shaw's cove on Sunday for the very first time (we mostly dive around the PV penninsula). But, we didn't dive...we kinda found Shaw's Cove by accident and didn't have our dive gear with us.

We saw a lot of divers/snorkelers in the water, not much surf, and viz looked pretty good too. We've decided that we want to do a dive here really soon.

I was wondering if there was a map of the reef available (online or anywhere else) so we can use it to plan our dive. Also, if any OC locals have any advice on how to dive this spot, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure, but you might find one in Dale & Kim Sheckler's book about the best Southern California beach dives. I forget the exact title, but it's available in most local shops or online from their California Diving News website, www.saintbrendan.com.

I thought I saw a map posted on the wall at Laguna Sea Sports. I do not know if there is a smaller version in print. It may be worth contacting them. The cove's terrain is much more than just shore side rocks. There are small ridges and arches that are fun to explore. You can also be in about 50 feet of water in a very short time.

Dale Scheckler's book on Southern California beach dives is good and he details the dive at Moss cove as well.

Moss Cove is probably the most popular in that area and is used quite a bit by instructors for their OW dives.

If you go straight out from the beach you have a sandy bottom for quite some distance. The terrain gradually drops off. We normally will surface swim out between 50 and 100 yards, desscend in about 40 FSW and then move north (or west) towards Crescent Bay. There is a nice reef there with a swim thru to Crescent Bay. Plenty of marine life along the reef. Be careful if you go into the swim thru because sometimes you get a good surge that can throw you around.

Last time we were there a sea lion scared the living sh$$ out of me when it decided to come up behind me and then got in my face.

Sorry, meant to say Shaw's Cove. Was just talking to someone earlier about diving Moss this weekend and it is still on my mind.

Back
Top Bottom