Diving in Boynton February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Might accompany wife to see her family in Boynton. When I last went in November, it was 50/50 on the boats going out because of weather, though I did manage to get one day of diving in.
I'm sure february is probably worse, but I'd figure I'd ask here just to confirm whether it's worth taking off from work for. Also, is a 3/2 full wet suit still warm enough or would I be pushing it for that time of year?

hard to say...right now were all day to day with the seas and the water temps...been warm so far and the seas have been rough lately..perhaps closer to your February dates would be a better time to ask your question.

....I'm sure february is probably worse?
January is & has been tough with weather. But Feb can be surprisingly good. Usually the 1st week of feb we have the pilot whales moving thru the coastal waters. The middle of Feb an increase in currents but that brings in alot of fish and sharks. The 3rd week of Feb is when the spinner sharks move close to shore and those are just wild to see thousands together. Water temps will be around 72 - 74, wear a hooded vest and you'll be fine.

I was in Boynton last February over President's Weekend for 3 days of diving and will be there again this year from the 2/16 through 2/21 for 4 days of diving. My experience last year was that water temps were 74-77 degrees. For me, that makes a 5mm wetsuit ideal. Last year, I was in a 3mm with a 3mm vest and hood and I got cold about 40 minutes into the 1 hour dives (on my arms and legs only). Visibility was very good and the diving excellent-- thus the reason I am going back. Weather can certainly be unpredictable. Day 1 and 2 were gorgeous with calm seas and sunny skies. Day 3 required me to go up to West Palm Beach to find a dive boat that could handle the rougher seas produced by high winds from the east- but we did get out and had a couple of very great dives. The day I left to drive up to Orlando was a complete squall and tropical rain storm that shut everything down.

I dive year round. Winter is always risky, but I try. Water is often in the low to mid 70s, I'm usually wearing my 5 and hooded vest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom