Diving in Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacks Diving Locker is by far the best shop -- we had Andy as our DM and the whole crew were very professional... We did the night Manta Ray dive with "Eco Adventures" (Jack's was not offering it that evening) and we felt that the staff and the operation and equipment used by that firm was way below par. As a matter of fact, the BC that I used with them (Eco) was so worn, that the cumberbund started to seperate while we were at the bottom and the mantas were passing overhead by mere inches!

Based on that experience, I now have my own gear...

jnylaw once bubbled...
Hello all,

I will be going to the Big Island this coming July. Want to do
some dive there. Have heard about the manta ray night dive.
Any recommendation on which charter to go with? (I am a
beginning diver). Does anyone there do shore dive? I am
interested in some easy snorkeling. Any suggestion??

Can't wait to go! So excited!

Jackie

To tell you the truth, I didn't think about the altitude at all. I did the Manta dive on Thursday night and started out bright an early the next day for the volcano.

While there are some high altitudes on the island (at least one of the mountains has snow), you don't need to go this high to see the volcano. We drove around on the main drag, which is pretty coastal. We took our time and did some site seeing (there is a little winery that is worth the stop) and by the time we hit the part, it was lunch time. We did some very easy hiking after lunch. The best time to see the volcano is after sundown, so we drove on into Hilo, and then back in time for sunset. Like I said, I hadn't even given it a thought, but I had no problems.

If you are going to explore the center of the island, or go up the mountains (not sure how far you can go), or do any intense hiking, probably want to that either the day before the dive, or leave a day in-between. Also, could ask the dive shops there what they think. They probably get this question all the time.

The only thing I have so far on my schedule is to go to the
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park the day before I do the
PM dive with Jack's diving locker. I will be staying at Kona.
Does anyone know whether I will have to pass through
high mountain roads between Kona and the Volcanoes that will
cause a problem?

Thanks!:bounce:

The only thing I have so far on my schedule is to go to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park the day before I do the PM dive with Jack's diving locker. I will be staying at Kona. Does anyone know whether I will have to pass through high mountain roads between Kona and the Volcanoes that will cause a problem?

The road between Kona and the Volcanos National Park does rise to a little over 1000 ft altitude for a short while. But your note appears to say that you will be going there BEFORE you dive, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You will love the Park! When we were there in December we saw lava flowing into the ocean. Very cool to see land being born! The links below will take you to "volcano updates". On our way to the volcano (leave EARLY), we stopped at a black sand beach and South Point, both great photo ops! And you can have a great breakfast at "The Coffee Shack" on the road to the volcano, which is high up Kealeakukua (sp?) Bay -- great food and wonderful view!

Be sure to get the book DocVikingo recommended -- it was an invaluable resource for us.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html

http://www.nps.gov/havo/

sapphire :)

We are debating whether we should go through the South
Point or go the other way through Hilo to the Volcanoe.
How long does it take from either side? We will be going to
Hilo on a separate trip. :wave:

We are debating whether we should go through the South Point or go the other way through Hilo to the Volcanoe. How long does it take from either side? We will be going to Hilo on a separate trip.

We didn't go the Hilo way, but it is much longer! It may depend on where the best lava viewing is. Since the road is cut in 2 by lava, sometimes you can see the flow better from the Hilo approach and sometimes you can see it just fine from the Kona approach. If I was going, and planned to do Hilo in a separate trip, I would go the South Point route. There are a lot of nice sites to see on the way, and it would be dark driving back to Kona that way and you would miss them!

sapphire

North route is longer if you're staying in Kona but not if you're in Kohala. Beautiful rainforests along the northern route. Also, follow Doc's rc and read Big Island Revealed. But if you decide to take the Road to the Sea (it's in the book) be very careful and go long before dusk. Failing to follow that advice, I found myself stranded in a lava field with a punctured gas tank. But no matter what you do, don't miss the volcano.

We are interested in going to the Waipio Valley too. Have heard
that you need a 4WD to get there or it will be a long hike. We
won't have a 4WD and don't want to do a long hike. Is there any
shuttle bus that goes there? Is it worthwhile to go there? How
much time do I need to spend there? The pictures of the Waipio
Valley on some websites are stunning!

There is some sort of tour that enters the valley using four wheel drive vans. Incidentally, the rental contracts for most of the larger car companies bar you from taking their vehicles (including four wheel drive vehicles) into Waipio Valley or on Saddle Rd. Harpers is the exception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom