Diving in Belize in late June? Weather concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarianAnn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey diving buddies,

Just planning a week of diving in Belize during the last week of June 2012. But reading up on climate and getting worried. Very conflicting reports. How bad is the rain and does it affect the diving? Haven't decided where exactly to go yet. Thinking of Ambergris Caye as I have read the North is dryer. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Marian.

June is the beginning of the hurricane season. I would definitely consider getting travel insurance if it's not covered by your credit card because many accommodations do not issue refunds or credits due to weather. I can't speak to that particular week, but I have been to Ambergris Caye in the middle of the summer (late July, early August) and had absolutely beautiful weather and very little rain. The weather is always a gamble. When it does rain, you will see a reduction in visibility but the water will still be warm. The other good thing about that time is that you will probably get lower rates because it is usually considered "low season."

I would be more concerned about the September-November timeframe, but not June.

Hey diving buddies,

Just planning a week of diving in Belize during the last week of June 2012. But reading up on climate and getting worried. Very conflicting reports. How bad is the rain and does it affect the diving? Haven't decided where exactly to go yet. Thinking of Ambergris Caye as I have read the North is dryer. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Marian.

I always go in the summer, ranging from mid-June through mid-August. So far the weather hasn't been a problem. It's rained a few times, sometimes as hard as a monsoon, but that's usually been at night. The rain has never lasted very long and since it's the tropics the place dries out quickly afterwards. I got caught in the middle of a monster thunderstorm in Playa del Carmen (just above Belize) a few years ago and was astonished at how it went from water gushing through flooded streets to perfectly dry in less than an hour. I've never had a dive cancelled due to weather, tap tap tap.

As jlevine noted, summer is the low season so the crowds are smaller and the prices are cheaper. A great time to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom