Diving in Bangkok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It looks like I will be lucky enough to attend a wedding in Bangkok next November. The problem I have is I love to dive and will likely book an additional week so that I can get some Thai diving in. Is there good day trip diving in Bangkok or do I have to go down to Phuket and that area? I want to go to Phuket but from what I can recall the cost can be significant in getting there and staying there. A live aboard will likely never get sold (to me or to my girlfriend and dive buddy) so day trips or shore diving is about all I can think about.

Do I book the extra week in Bangkok or Phuket?

It looks like I will be lucky enough to attend a wedding in Bangkok next November. The problem I have is I love to dive and will likely book an additional week so that I can get some Thai diving in. Is there good day trip diving in Bangkok or do I have to go down to Phuket and that area? I want to go to Phuket but from what I can recall the cost can be significant in getting there and staying there. A live aboard will likely never get sold (to me or to my girlfriend and dive buddy) so day trips or shore diving is about all I can think about.

Do I book the extra week in Bangkok or Phuket?

Beside going to the south for one week, you can go to Pattaya. Theoretic it is doable to go there in the morning and come back in the evening. But I wouldn't recommend it, unless you can sleep in the Taxi.
Diving there is not sooo good but better than nothing.

The best diving you will find at the Andaman Coast, Phuket and other places like Krabi, Phi Phi, Khao Lak etc. Fly with Air Asia to Krabi or Phuket, and it is quite cheap and fast. The divimng destinations in the Gulf of Thailand like Samui or Koh Tao have less to offer in terms of quality of diving, but are also possible. Samui is also easy to reach.

If you want to stay in the area, Pattaya is easy to reach from Bangkok, and offers some reasonable diving. Especially the wrecks can be nice, although visibility will normally not be too good.

If you want good diving then go to Phuket.

If, for some reason, you can't make it to Phuket; then another option is Koh Samet. It is about a 2.5 hour drive from Bangkok (1 hour from Pattaya). It has a lot more marine life than Pattaya. Koh Samet is a National Park that takes about 10-15 minutes by speedboat to reach. It also has better beaches than Pattaya.

Similan Islands is the place to dive. Liveaboards there are priced for backpackers. I jumped on one in Khao Lak. Best diving I've ever done.

Similan Islands is the place to dive. Liveaboards there are priced for backpackers.
This really depends on what you're looking for. There are boats for backpackers and vry luxurious pamper me endlessly boats with everything in between. Daytrips are possible from Phuket and Khao Lak (boat departure will be from Tap Lamu), overnight trips starting from 2 days/1 night till much, much longer. Some of the boats depart from Tap Lamu, the harbour just to the South of Khao Lak, others from Phuket. Bookings for the trips can be made from Phuket and Khao Lak.

Nothing but jewelry and other scams, noisy tuk-tuks and smelly air in Bangkok (although I had fun there). As others have said, the best diving is the Similans or the Phuket-Phi Phi area in the Andaman Sea. However, I enjoyed diving the Gulf islands as well. I think for a small premium going all the way south makers the most sense.

Back
Top Bottom