Diving in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonspear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all

We will be in Florida for a few weeks in August and was wondering what the options would be for diving at this time of year.

We'll be staying around the Orlando area with family, but could easily slip away for a few days at a time to do some diving. We've dived the Keys before around Marathon and the Crystal River area. So to the questions!

Are we likely to get any diving in at this time of year? With all the hype of the last couple of years about hurricanes etc is it going to be a complete wash out?

Two options we've looked at are West Palm Beach and Jupiter. How do these areas rate compared to the Keys? Are the Keys 'that' much better, or fairly similar for what you are likely to see? (apart from the dives mainly being drift off palm beach).

Also at this time of year I think we are too late for the Turtle mating/nesting season, but has anyone ever seen hatchlings while diving or snorkeling?

Are there any good places within easy driving distance of Orlando where sharks can be seen on a fairly consistant basis at this time of year? I've heard of the Lemon shark aggregations, but these are in the winter months from what I have gathered.

Ideally we'd probably not want to head to the keys as we'd have to head down for 3 or 4 days to make it worthwhile with the distances involved. If we can hit the coast within 3 hours and do 3 or 4 of these trips it would be a lot better for us. Of course if the diving at the Keys is so much better then we'd have to consider it.

Any help would be really appreciated! :)

Best Regards, Simon

LiteHedded:
sharks can be seen on a regular basis in the aquarium at epcot.
:D
nice dive and it's IN orlando

Not EXACTLY the same as diving with them in the ocean though...

There's lot of great diving within a 2-3 hour drive of Orlando. I wouldn't worry too much about the hurricanes blowing out your dives. If one hits here while you're visiting, you'll have other concerns anyway :D I can never get them to stick to my schedule.

What sort of diving are you looking for, springs, reef, wrecks, boat, shore? New Smyrna Beach has some pretty ok wreck diving. Boynton Beach and Pompano Beach have some nice wrecks and reefs as well. All are well within your 3 hour window.

Enjoy

OCDinNC:
Not EXACTLY the same as diving with them in the ocean though...

It is fun to mess with the folks eating dinner and watching you dive with those pretty little sharks.

We're looking for a bit of everything I'd guess. Ideally we'd love to see some sharks which is my fault as I'm a shark nut and fortunately my wife humours me!

I'd love to film turtles laying eggs and hatching, which is why I was asking about the nesting season, but I think we're going to be too late for that.

Other than that wrecks reefs and whatever comes our way! I've done some spring dives before, but we'd probably leave that until we visit in the winter and hopefully catch some manatees.

I'll take a look at what you all suggested - thanks for the help! :)

Cheers, Simon

I, too, will be headed in that direction...visiting Mom in the Pompano Beach area. I plan on lurking here to see what the Conchs have planned.

PS -- What can I expect for water temps? Bath water?!

simonspear:
I'd love to film turtles laying eggs and hatching, which is why I was asking about the nesting season, but I think we're going to be too late for that.
You should be aware that it's illegal to bother nesting turtles ($1,000 fine).
It might be possible to film them while on a turtle-walk with the Sea Turtle Preservation Society. But you'd have to get permission ahead of time and film without lights.

I was already aware of the regulations with regard to disturbing the Turtles and the no light rules, but it's possible to film with no lights and still get decent results (think nightvision IR images rather than full colour lit images). Also in most nesting areas there are times when the turtles are a bit late getting back into the water, so there would be enough ambient light to get true colour images. But hey I'm rambling on! There are a few organisations that do turtle walks but I'd not come across the Turtle Preservation Society before so thanks for the link.

Cheers, Simon

kelpmermaid:
I, too, will be headed in that direction...visiting Mom in the Pompano Beach area. I plan on lurking here to see what the Conchs have planned.

PS -- What can I expect for water temps? Bath water?!

I'm diving with a 1/2 mil now in S. Fla. By August, anything goes...depending on your concern for coverage and depth, a lot of divers will go bathing suit only or a skin.

I dive regularly with SB member Marcosis in Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Watch our posts and feel free to tag along when you're in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom