Diving in Auckland, NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse:
only 35-45 meter vis? oh well cant have 100m vis all the time aye.
Did you see the Canadian flag on the bridge?

I think Azza saw it - nice timing with it being Canada day as well!

Went to Northern Arch and Riko Riko - will let Darryl tell it as it was.

Packhorse:
Hey Daryl. I spoke to the cheif at the harbour bridge and he said he will fly a Canadian flag for you. Keep an eye out for it. :wink:
Hey, that's great! I only wish I would have known to look or get a photo. At least Azza saw it.

AndyNZ:
Had an ok day at the Knights yesterday with Daryl and Azza. Viz was pretty average for the time of year, around 35-40m or so...... :wink:

You should post your opinions Daryl, before Azza and I colour perceptions with the local viewpoint!

Water was pretty warm, I made it 16 degC whilst Azza made it 14 degC. I guess if my computer rounds up and his rounds down then we could settle on an average of 15 degC. Still warm enough to do an hours dive with a flooded drysuit, though....

I'll have a look at my photos tonight and post up any good ones.
So that was just an "ok" day. Am I detecting a bit of whinging, Andy?

Well, everyone, don't listen to this, it was a great day. (I'll take 35-40m of vis any day.)

For anyone who hasn't been spoiled by better days than we had, I highly recommend the Poor Knights if you want to dive in New Zealand. What an impressive dive site!

I have to add that it was excellent to go diving with AndyNZ and Azza. New Zealand hospitality is second to none.

That was another superb day at the Knights as usual.

I have been rethinking the viz estimates from Riko Riko Cave and I reckon we had more than 40 metres.
Evan (The skipper) was telling me it is 80 metres across the entrance, and when Daryl and I were swimming back to the entrance along the eastern wall I could see the western wall.
Katie is kicking herself for not coming, especially as we seen that shark. She loves sharks...

Daryl it was a pleasure to have you come diving with us. Hopefully you will make it a habit...

Are you going to do a write up for the other folks on Scubaboard?

alijtaylor:
Have a good trip guys, after weeks of crappy weather down here we had a great dive under sunny skies at Rocky Bay Porirua today - 11C but good light and lots of stuff to see.

Alison
Ahh.... shore diving from Wellingtons rocky shores.... I do miss the easy access to diving in welly sometimes. Rocky bay is a neat little spot, not quite as good as Mermaids Kitchen, but still nice:D

Packhorse:
Hey Daryl. I spoke to the cheif at the harbour bridge and he said he will fly a Canadian flag for you. Keep an eye out for it. :wink:
Hey thanks for organising that mate. I forgot to ask him. I did see it tho...:wink:
Packhorse:
Well every man and his d o g was out at the Ahaaha's fishing.
Water was even colder today at 12deg.
First time out there and wasnt impressed, not a lot to look at. only cray I saw was about 50mm long. So went over to Gannet rock where the vis was 3-4 meteres and alot of current. Found a nice cray and a few mussels.

Hope you guys had a more enjoyable day, but I bet you will be buggered after driving home aye.

Mate I was knackered when I got home. As usual I couldnt sleep the night before, due to both excitement and scared of sleeping through the alarm. We left at 0530 and got home at 1900 or so.

Ok now I know the ahaaha's are crap I can cross that of my list.

Azza:
That was another superb day at the Knights as usual.

I have been rethinking the viz estimates from Riko Riko Cave and I reckon we had more than 40 metres.
Evan (The skipper) was telling me it is 80 metres across the entrance, and when Daryl and I were swimming back to the entrance along the eastern wall I could see the western wall.
Katie is kicking herself for not coming, especially as we seen that shark. She loves sharks...

Daryl it was a pleasure to have you come diving with us. Hopefully you will make it a habit...

Are you going to do a write up for the other folks on Scubaboard?
Okay, so I wasn't imagining how good it was. Glad to hear that.

I'll do my very best to go diving with you guys again in the future. Wouldn't want to miss out on it.

I'm afraid I've got a pretty full schedule for the rest of the week (meetings and more travel) so I'm not sure how much detail I'll have time to post. Maybe you can give it a go and I'll post a few photos when I get a chance? (Probably after I get home.)

Azza:
I have been rethinking the viz estimates from Riko Riko Cave and I reckon we had more than 40 metres. Evan (The skipper) was telling me it is 80 metres across the entrance, and when Daryl and I were swimming back to the entrance along the eastern wall I could see the western wall.

Yeah, I'd agree - it was at least 40m, probably more. I guess in the cave the viz was better than outside because of the sponges filtering the water. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 60m or so.

Daryl Morse:
Okay, so I wasn't imagining how good it was. Glad to hear that.

Yeah, it was a good day - my sense of humour tends towards the sarcastic, hence commenting on "average" viz of 40m. :)

Off skiing for a few days and then down to Wellington for the weekend - but I'll try and post some of the photos up tonight when I get home. Got a couple of good shots, but nothing to really rave about.

I was hoping to do a bit of a write up about the dives tonight but have found myself short of time. Will hopefully get around to it shortly

AndyNZ:
Got a couple of good shots, but nothing to really rave about.

Did my "Superman" pose come out alright?:D

Back
Top Bottom