Diving in Auckland, NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in Auckland on business in two weeks. I'd like to go out on a boat dive on Sunday July 1st. I would appreciate a recommendation on a good boat operator and/or a dive shop from whom I can hire an exposure suit. I will be bringing all of my own gear except tanks, weights and exposure suit.

Where are the best sites? Any places to avoid?

What is the water temperature this time of year? Is this drysuit or wetsuit diving? (I dive dry at home.)

Thanks.

Daryl - what kind of size are you? Height/weight etc? I can lend you a 7mm wetsuit, which is probably just about warm enough this time of year. Expect water temperatures to be around 15 degC - I find a 7mm a little chilly on the second dive, to be honest, so tend to go dry between May and October.

How far are you looking to travel out of Auckland to get a dive in? Heading up to Tutukaka and diving the Poor Knights is probably the best option - but it's a three hour drive north. If you go for that, Dive Tutukaka provide a good service for the visiting diver, but to get to some of the better sites try Noel and Jo at Yukon charters (www.yukon.co.nz).

Closer to Auckland, Goat Island Dive operate a boat out of Leigh (an hour north) and Bryan (the owner/skipper) is also a good guy - they should have a trip list on their website (www.goatislanddive.co.nz), I'd expect they'll be doing trips to Great Barrier Island or if you're lucky the Mokihinau Islands - Mokes are as good as the Poor Knights for sure.

Drop me a PM if you want more info - if nothing else, can get you discounted wetsuit hire from my LDS.

Sounds like a good excuse to go for a dive - if there are a few people keen then we can could arrange a sole charter for the day (can sometimes get mates rates on Yukon) and explore some of the better dive sites....

Azza - it would definitely beat getting together at Pupuke!

jbisjim:
How about temps from October to May?

No real problems, will start to warm up at the end of September. September is normally somewhere in the 12-14 degC range, by end of October it should up to around 17 degC (up north, at least) at then steadily get warmer through til about mid-May where it can peak at around 20-22 degC.

I''ll take any information you have as well. I am planning a trip there currently.:coffee:

There's quite often an algae bloom at the Poor Knights in December that seriously effects the viz, brings it down to around 10m or so, but other than that you'll have an awesome time.

Try to go to Poor Knight. It is being mentioned that it is top 10 best sites in Asia-Pacific or in the world (couldn't remember) . but to go there from auckland u need to take a short plane trip. bye

jbisjim:
How about temps from October to May?

I''ll take any information you have as well. I am planning a trip there currently.:coffee:
Most of my diving is around Auckland. These temps are from my log October 15deg C May17 deg C peaked at 23C in Febuary.
I have dived a 7mm upto its demise a few months back and am now diving a 5mm. Last dive was 15c and it didnt feel cold to me but for the next few months I will be putting my hooded vest in with my kit just in case.

Packhorse:
Most of my diving is around Auckland. These temps are from my log October 15deg C May17 deg C peaked at 23C in Febuary.
I have dived a 7mm upto its demise a few months back and am now diving a 5mm. Last dive was 15c and it didnt feel cold to me but for the next few months I will be putting my hooded vest in with my kit just in case.

I sense that if i have a dry suit I should concider taking it... Being i own a 3mm wet suit, and a dry suit only. Thanks for the information.

Got any dives you like to do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom