Suggestion Diving "Greats" announcement suggestion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Cave Diver

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We have a quite a few diving "greats" here on the board.

Names such as John Chatteron, Richie Kohler, Sam Miller, Dan Volker, Jill Heinreth and a host of others come to mind.

I was recently reading a thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...entation-mike-barnette.html#post5555452thread) about a Mike Barnette (aue-mike) and was surprised at how little recognition or comments it got. I thought it might be a good idea to invite some of these people to post periodically about projects they are working on, dives they've done, or just some brief histories or tales from way back and we could add that thread to the announcements at the top of the page for a week or two.

I think one reason they dont get a lot of attention is because a lot of people don't really feel qualified to comment, so they end up getting buried under the bpw and split fin arguments.

We also have a lot of other very accomplished members who sometimes post reports. I'd like to see some of their trip reports featured this way. There have been a few recently by users like Nadwindy and Superbugman that were really good but I think a lot of people missed them because they weren't posted in an area they frequent.

Also "big" trips, like Galapagos, or Chuuk, or something a bit off the beaten path would be nice to see featured this way. I think the added attention would help interest people and encourage others to post reports or contribute.

What say ye?

You are right, in that some of us, avid divers that we are, realize that we have very little to contribute in a conversation with some of these "greats".

I certainly would enjoy hearing more about their experiences, lessons learned, etc, though. Good idea CD!

I agree. Too often the fantastic information and experience of some of our "great" and "lesser-great" divers is lost within the "chatter." We all enjoy the chatter, but could benefit greatly from the experience of our more knowledgeable members.

I think you're on to a damn good idea there. Maybe a "Best of Scubaboard" forum, where older threads could be moved to, rather than be lost forever.

Potential sub-fora could include the people, the dives and the locations as a starting point. Perhaps discourage "chit-chat" a bit in a sticky?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom