Diving Ginnie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you at in Southern Fl.? There are other springs much closer, but none have the cavern experience that Ginnie offers, nor with the facilities that they have there. I'm in Tampa and go as often as I can, though I have relatives that live up there so it's usually multiple day trips to several springs.

It is something you have to do at least once, just to experience it and see if it isn't something that might interest you.

Chris

Yeah, we are trying to plan a day, mid week of course to avoid the crowds. We'll get up there around 1pm or so, go fishing and hang out, camp overnight, then dive in the morning 2 tanks and leave shortly after.

Should be fun.

I was up there on a Tuesday in May in mid afternoon and were the only divers in the water. There were a few swimmers, but we had the cavern to ourselves, and it was a great experience.

Chris

Well if anyone is going to be there Thursday July 20th I will. My buddy had to change his travel plans and won't be able to make it.

You may want to consider going to Devil's Den instead of Ginnie. It's a way more interesting site for OW diving than the Ginnie Ballroom because the dive starts underground. It's really a place that everyone should see at least once. It will also give you that same cavern feel you'll get at Ginnie.

http://www.devilsden.com

Theres hardly any info on devils den, is it as big or bigger than ginnie? Are there cavern entrances, etc...? Can you explain what it is a little?

Pickup a copy of Ned Loach's Florida Underwater... great reference book for Florida Springs and such.

Recommendations... Devil's Den is one of those "must do" once things... very interesting place to dive, look at the fossils in the walls, etc.

Rainbow River... nice gentle drift dive, excellent viz and place to take pictures.

King Spring... good for a combination snorkel with manatees and dive... late fall time is best or even late winter when there are manatees around.

Ginnie Springs... good place to dive... even the drift dive to the other side is pretty good... when the river isn't so tannic... been there a number of times.

vr24:
I was curious, I live in South Florida, are the springs worth driving all the way up for a long weekend? Is there much to see for an hour in the water, and is it worth going for a second tank?

People come from all over the world to dive Florida springs, so I think it would be worth your while to check some of them out. But you have to realize that it is one of those things that either people really take right to it and want to do nothing else or they do it once and decide "it's not for me". I love it for the challange and adventure and wish I lived closer to cave country, but I have to keep my trips down to once a month due to family and work obligations(and gas prices).

diversolo:
People come from all over the world to dive Florida springs, so I think it would be worth your while to check some of them out. But you have to realize that it is one of those things that either people really take right to it and want to do nothing else or they do it once and decide "it's not for me".QUOTE]

I disagree. I've only done a few of the springs so far, but I've done Cavern, and intend to go through Full Cave. Caves fascinate me. But I could never restrict myself to just that type of diving. I love wrecks, reefs, lakes, rivers, deep, shallow (deep is better)... You name it; I just gotta get wet. I am indeed OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Diver).

eandiver:
Well if anyone is going to be there Thursday July 20th I will. My buddy had to change his travel plans and won't be able to make it.

I will be up there with my g/f on the 20th if you need dive buddies.

Devils Den does look like an interesting dive, from what I have read it silts out quickly if there are a lot of divers in it, so it's best to go in the morning. Haven't dove that one yet but it is certainly on the list.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom