Diving for Beginners in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ginovega Thanks for the offer, I'll actually be in PR the weekend prior. I did find some shore dive options on the western side of the island (El Natural and Crashboat). Didn't look like the greatest dives in regards to the amount of life, but still looked like it had some coral and fish I'd never seen before.
I'd love to go do some of the other diving that I've seen or read about, but I don't want to leave my wife for half the day either. This is our first vacation since our daughter was born, so this kinda feels like another honeymoon for us.

Crash Boat is an excellent shore dive in Aguadilla. I have dove that site a lot. It was my training grounds. Now many are also diving Sugarcane Mill (abandoned ) which is close by. It is about 2 hours from San Juan. Also there are the Isabela Caverns ( pass throughs) close by. Rincon , the next town over has some nice reefs.

Check out these ops, Aquatica Dive and Surf, http://www.aquaticapr.com/, Jose Rafols, knows this area very well. He is been in business since the 80's in the Aguadilla area.

Thanks I emailed all of them and I did hear back from Aquatica. Jose said if I tagged along with my wife's discover class I'd be charged for the class. I wasn't really thrilled with that. He did say the caverns are closed this time of year. Not sure how I would have felt about diving there anyway, I have zero cavern training.
Still waiting to hear back from Rincon and Taino.

Thanks for the advice, hope you enjoy your trip

Ok. I you trying to get to Aguadilla you could make the trip to Mayaguez or Guanica. In Mayaguez you have The Dive Shop PR, my friend Papo Braulio owns that shop The Dive Shop Puerto Rico.
In Guanica, Pedro Padilla is the owner of Island Scuba. I dive w him most of time because is about 15 minutes from my Dad's house. Island Scuba Diving San Juan Puerto Rico & Guanica

Parguera is another option, Kiko owns Paradise Scuba and Snorkling Center, however he makes most of his business w snorkelers
Scuba Diving Puerto Rico | Dive La Parguera

Hope you have a great time there

I am in PR that weekend, 2-5 February however will be spending quality time with the old man...he will 84 on the 3 Feb...

Working 6-9, diving 9-10, taking the wife shopping and sightseeing 11-20....

My personal experience. Verizon will not work. When Verizon owned the PR Telephone co, Verizon worked fine. However they sold it Claro. They cut a deal w Claro to support Verizon customers but coverage is bad. I was a Verizon customer for a long time ( even before they were Verizon, they were called GTE Wireless ) but switched to T-Mobile so I could get better service when I traveled to the island. The best carriers in PR are AT&T and Sprint.

I ended up book a 2 tank shore dive with Rincon Divers. My second dive will be with my wife during her try scuba class. Pretty excited but I'm keeping my expectations in check. I'm just glad I'm getting the chance, I haven't dove since November.

Great!!! We are set w Island Scuba from Friday 10 Feb and Saturday 11 Feb at Guanica PR...not too far from Rincon. Hope you enjoy it...let me know how it goes w Rincon Divers...

I got here ok on the 2nd Feb. I've able to confirm Verizon does not work here. My Government BB (Verizon ) is only getting voice service no data. My T-Mobile personal cell works get in all city centers across the island but not in the country side (almost zero coverage in my Dad's house )

AT&T has best coverage, followed closely by Sprint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom