Diving Florida for 1st time...need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George the Greek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am an AOW diver excited to come to Florida Sept.2-11 to dive your great state for the 1st time. The family and I will be staying in Madeira Beach and I'm looking to my SB friends/fellow divers for some advice. Where are some places in Madeira Beach, or close to that I can shore dive? Where is the closest dive shop to rent tanks? Any recomendations on outfits to get some boat dives in? Do I need my 3 mil? When I visited last year, a fellow diver told me a place where you can find and actually take shark teeth, it sounds great... is this true and where if so? Any advice and guidance will truly be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and see you soon,

George The Greek

The shark teeth place is Venice, and yes you can actually find lots of teeth even your first time out. Search the board for Venice fossil divers, there are several threads with detailed info on this subject.
Another shore dive, a little closer is Spanish Rocks. Again a search for this location will yield several threads with directions.
In the Maderia Beach area I would use Jims Dive Shop Jim's Dive Shop - Welcome to Jim's Dive Shop This is the best out that way.
You probably wont need a 3mil unless you are a warm water wussy. The top should be above 85. If you get below 60 feet I have heard of a thermocline down to the low 70s but you wont do this shore diving on the west coast!

If you have any other questions let me know!

The water temp of the Gulf in Sept. will likely still be in the 80's. We won't get cold until right about October. For this time of year you'll want a shortie suite of about 1.5mil. The water will feel like a very warm bath, it won't be like the water is cooling you off!

Venice beach is to the south where Salmonboy97 has suggested you go shark teeth diving.

Clearwater Beach to the north has some dive operators (such as Dive Clearwater (Welcome To Dive Clearwater!, Tanks-A-Lot and a few others).

Either way, both Clearwater AND Venice are a bit of a drive but not too far. We often drive down to John's Pass when people come in from out of state as something to do in the evening. It's a very nice place
I'm not sure if any boats leave out of John's Pass but look up any dive shops in the area and give them a call to inquire about dive charters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom