diving fitness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not bad for an old fart, right? You have 1:40 to complete 400 yards in sand for some of the USLA lifeguard certified beach patrols. Hard to see, but it is about 100 yards from the point where I appear in the frame to the end. Google Earth places the beach at exactly 220 yards from sand start to sand end. The post beyond the middle sign is 100 yards from the end. Takes me 20 seconds to go from that post to the end of the beach. Took 20 seconds to reach that post from the start.

Cardio and veganism. :)

Stationary rowing is the favorite. Very very easy low impact way to get your HR up to max and keep it there.

Last edited:
I have heard yoga can be useful to divers, but the yoga classes I have observed don't appeal to me. I wish there were a "Yoga For Divers" class I could take, where everyone is a diver.

I love the idea of a Yoga for Divers class. By the way, all yoga classes are very different. I've absolutely hated some of them, thought some were just ok & loved others. If you narrow down what you didn't like, perhaps one of us can help ooint you in a different direction to find a class and/or type of yoga you might really enjoy.

Cardio and veganism. :)

Stationary rowing is the favorite. Very very easy low impact way to get your HR up to max and keep it there.

That's a really good point. I credit my vegetarianism with huge benefits to my health. It is amazing what a good diet can do even if it's just upping the amount of fruits/veggies eaten & restricting the amount of processed crap. :)

But freediving? Stirring up substrate so the big blue gropers think you're eating something tasty that they should steal and come say hello? Yes on all counts
View attachment 414743
I assume you meant groupers but gropers works as well.

I read an article where there are 2 yoga instructors for every 1 participant in some cities. Yoga must be like diving. When everyone is an instructor it is hard to find a good one. :)

I went to yoga classes when I was dating another scuba instructor on Grand Bahama. She got into trapeze, silks, hand balancing, and she would freedive, run, and swim. The worst mistake I ever made was to ask her if she wanted to go cave diving, where the car keys were, or something when she was inverted doing yoga near the pool. Apparently, it was a huge faux pas to speak to someone who believed in the spirituality of it.

That wasn't my cup of tea. I loved my karate instructor because he didn't believe in meditation or anything of the sort. We hit people. Very therapeutic. :D

, it was a huge faux pas to speak to someone who believed in the spirituality of it. That wasn't my cup of tea.

I love flexibility and balance training as well as breathing exercises but can't stand the 'aura' of yoga and it's typical practitioners. I'm sure y'all are nice folk though.

I am a tom boy & I find meditation annoying. I also find many yoga classes & so called "yogis" annoying. But there are yoga classes out there that are different. You just have to look for them & find the perfect ones for you. The yoga classes I prefer focus on breathing, flexibility & strength. There's no meditation, no talk of chakras, no hugs, no perky gym bunny instructor or creepy guy instructor. My classes are not too fast, nor too slow. They are just perfect...for me.

Just like with diving, you can find the instructor that's right for you if you look hard enough.

And the benefits I've gotten from the yoga classes are huge!

I am a tom boy & I find meditation annoying. I also find many yoga classes & so called "yogis" annoying. But there are yoga classes out there that are different. You just have to look for them & find the perfect ones for you. The yoga classes I prefer focus on breathing, flexibility & strength. There's no meditation, no talk of chakras, no hugs, no perky gym bunny instructor or creepy guy instructor. My classes are not too fast, nor too slow. They are just perfect...for me.

Just like with diving, you can find the instructor that's right for you if you look hard enough.

And the benefits I've gotten from the yoga classes are huge!
Me too! Try Kip at Crunch on John street....I think he fits your bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom