Diving ENT Doctor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of a ENT doctor, preferably in the Austin area, that is an active diver?
Looking to get some answers about a long time problem.

loosebits:
You and me both... chronic external ear infection (had it about 3 years)...

I'd contact DAN, they have a list of doctors that have experience with diving medicine.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/physicians.asp

Will do. BTW, I really liked you explanation on weighting in another post the other day. I was looking at this backwards it seems and adding weight when I should have taken it off.

I've been to several, and most aren't really good at diving problems. The one guy that knows his stuff is Dr. Gary Mailman; he runs a local chamber and knows his diving stuff pretty well. Good luck!

My ENT in Arlington is also a casual sport diver.

Hey you never know. The primary guy I used to go to(he isnt in private practice anymore as he is now Chief of Medical Staff at Houston NW Memorial) is a NAUI Divemaster. But as he told me, his interest in diving is as a recreational diver; he stated firmly his expertise was not in dive medicine.

So not every diving doctor is a dive medicine physician

Hope you find what works for you in Austin. As for the Dallas area, I heartily recommend Dr. Bruce Whitehead who works in the Medical City complex. He's associated with a hyperbaric chamber, knows diving and even locations, and has a very good bedside manner besides. If you're a new diver, be prepared for friendly pop quizzes as he examines you!

AggieDad:
Does anyone know of a ENT doctor, preferably in the Austin area, that is an active diver?
Looking to get some answers about a long time problem.

Well, I can't help you in Austin area but I think I can tell you about a real good ENT in Houston.. I know I would make a trip from austin to Houston to see this guy if I had a serious problem. Let me qualify what I'm about to tell you: A few years ago I was attacked by a four foot barracuda on a night dive. The attack was severe, cutting several arteries and crushing all the facial bones on the right side of my face. (Major orbital blowout) Went through some serious reconstructive surgery done by an opthalmic plastic surgeon. After I recovered from that I needed to know if I was gonna dive again. Hence...enter Dr. Harold "Hal" Reuter, ENT. He is renown as a diver, had ties with Jaques Costeau and has published some of his own decompresson tables. So if it is something you think is dive related or could impact your diving, he may be your man. Anyway his telephone numbers are:713-668-4366, 713-704-48754.
Oh, and I was diving again four months later, tiitanium bionics & all. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Regards,

Thanks to all. I will check these out. I blew an eardrum flying with a cold many years ago and have tinnuitis and hearing loss. I do know I have some sinus polyps and I ususally can dive once okay but the second dive is a little difficult to clear. Just want to see if there is anything I can do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom