Diving dry with a neoprene suit in warm water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@RJP: Guessing is not your strong point, is it? Yes I have to answer your question. Different people handle heat differently. I like other diver here get hot.

I had not considered the Santi, thanks for the recommendation! I am sure that in the future I will have multiple suits, kits, etc., but in my starting stages, the more versatile my equipment, the better. Now my research will shift towards the " which brand is better " area ( which will never have a solid answer ).

RJP those photos are awesome! I can imagine the looks on other divers' faces. Classic.

Don't be so sure you will need multiple full kits, unless you sidemount or go rebreather. I understand the fine tuning or diving with no weight but consider the following versatility.

My current kit will take me from basic open water through tri-mix with a few add-ons, but my foundation remains the same. That's beauty of the a back plate and wing setup.

A SS steel backplate with a 38-40lbs lift single wing with STA and two trim pockets on lower cam belt gives me a weighting range from -6lbs to -22lbs.

I just switched to doubles and bought a 60lbs doubles wing, using same plate and if weight is need I will use the trim pocket on my waist strap. But with my double 119's I haven't needed them yet.

I bought two steel 119's at the same time because i knew I would double them up later.
The 40cf luxfer stage (sling_left side) I bought for an alternate air source during singles diving and will be used for my advanced training later.

I can't say enough nice things about the Santi E-Lite suit. I did a ton of research and I am so happy I bought one. I really don't see a need for another suit and it still looks new after many pool, quarry, and ocean dives. I really see myself using this suit for the next 5 years at least (planning on 10).

You mentioned the Whites Fusion, which is not a neoprene drysuit. I have seen people diving them in warm water with very light undergarments (you could use under armor or something that you may already have).

Don't be so sure you will need multiple full kits, unless you sidemount or go rebreather. I understand the fine tuning or diving with no weight but consider the following versatility.

My current kit will take me from basic open water through tri-mix with a few add-ons, but my foundation remains the same. That's beauty of the a back plate and wing setup.

A SS steel backplate with a 38-40lbs lift single wing with STA and two trim pockets on lower cam belt gives me a weighting range from -6lbs to -22lbs.

I just switched to doubles and bought a 60lbs doubles wing, using same plate and if weight is need I will use the trim pocket on my waist strap. But with my double 119's I haven't needed them yet.

I bought two steel 119's at the same time because i knew I would double them up later.
The 40cf luxfer stage (sling_left side) I bought for an alternate air source during singles diving and will be used for my advanced training later.

I can't say enough nice things about the Santi E-Lite suit. I did a ton of research and I am so happy I bought one. I really don't see a need for another suit and it still looks new after many pool, quarry, and ocean dives. I really see myself using this suit for the next 5 years at least (planning on 10).

That is the kind of kit I am trying to set up. I have definitely been convinced to go with a BP/W setup ( surprisingly my LDS instructor is a huge BP/W fan ). One of my biggest holdups has been the exposure suit due to the many styles, brands, fans of brands, etc. I appreciate your input. Advice from those who have used multiple suits in their own pursuit of what works is what I was looking for in this thread. What convinced you to go with the Santi versus, say, a DUI?

You mentioned the Whites Fusion, which is not a neoprene drysuit. I have seen people diving them in warm water with very light undergarments (you could use under armor or something that you may already have).

Yes, the Fusion is not a neoprene suit, but, at least here on SB, it has a really strong ( and convincing ) fan base. I am open to all ideas. The reasoning behind my questioning regarding the neoprene is the fact that I know quite a few local divers who switched from a trilam to a neoprene ( specifically the ScubaPro Everdry 4 ) and love it. It seems to work great for cold water diving, but I am looking for a multifunctional suit. All comments coming from experience are appreciated. I have read articles from people who say that the Fusion is great in warm water, but I am want feedback from people who are not biased due to employment related to Whites. ( no offense to any body who may be employed by Whites )

As a guy who has dived with warm-water drysuit divers, I can say it is a PITA waiting around for them to get ready as opposed to us wetsuit divers who were all ready and in the water in about half the time. I hate waiting for people. The extra weight, extra gear, often oversized tanks, it all adds up to a much bigger hassle than it is worth. If diving with a warm water drysuit diver now, I now make sure they have a buddy of their own so I can dive at my own pace. Just something to keep in mind if you are planning on going with an insta-buddy or trying to keep friends.

As Mattahuck said, you are planning for two sets of conditions that require completely different sets of gear. I'd just bite the bullet and get a drysuit and then maybe wait until you find a deal on a thin wetsuit. That way all your bases are covered. If you are really opposed to a wetsuit, you could try diving with just a hood. I know some DM's that do that here year-round and are fine.

Yes, the Fusion is not a neoprene suit, but, at least here on SB, it has a really strong ( and convincing ) fan base. I am open to all ideas. The reasoning behind my questioning regarding the neoprene is the fact that I know quite a few local divers who switched from a trilam to a neoprene ( specifically the ScubaPro Everdry 4 ) and love it. It seems to work great for cold water diving, but I am looking for a multifunctional suit. All comments coming from experience are appreciated. I have read articles from people who say that the Fusion is great in warm water, but I am want feedback from people who are not biased due to employment related to Whites. ( no offense to any body who may be employed by Whites )

One of my dive buddies owns a Fusion suit and loves it. He can't say enough good things about it. This guy has owned more than a few dry suits over the years and says this one is the best. It would fit the bill of being a multifunctional suit as it can be used with light undergarments in warm water, my buddy is using now in 40F water. I use a crushed neoprene suit a Pinnacle BlackIce. It's a little stiff for my liking and the dump valve is not in a good location for me, but it is dry and warm. IMO you'd be better off with a non-neoprene suit for warm water. I use much less undergarments with my suit then my buddy does with his Fusion in the same 40F water. A neoprene dry suit might be too much in warm water.

As a guy who has dived with warm-water drysuit divers, I can say it is a PITA waiting around for them to get ready as opposed to us wetsuit divers who were all ready and in the water in about half the time. I hate waiting for people. The extra weight, extra gear, often oversized tanks, it all adds up to a much bigger hassle than it is worth. If diving with a warm water drysuit diver now, I now make sure they have a buddy of their own so I can dive at my own pace. Just something to keep in mind if you are planning on going with an insta-buddy or trying to keep friends.

My avitar shows me in the water in Greece waiting for the other wetsuit divers. I arrive with my drybase already on and as soon as everyone else starts getting dressed I put on the suit half way using the suspenders to keep the suit from falling off like I would during surface intervals. My backplate and tank are already set to go with no more than 8lbs total with no weight belt needed. Once we get the green light, it take less than one minute to get my arms and head into the suit and zip up. No help needed with a front entry suit. BTW, I'm usually waiting for those that take their wetsuit off between dives. It looks like it's a PITA trying to put on a WET wetsuit.:D

I'm also drinking water with no worries due to the installed p-valve.

I really don't see a need to have multiple full setup/kits. I just change the undergarments to match the temp. Pictures 1 and 2 are in 80F water in Greece and picture 3 in mid 40F water. Same basic setup, same drysuit with Fourth Element zerotherm and arctic layered..

162_3204.jpg162_3208.jpgDSC01487.jpg

Last edited:
I was in the same place as you last year at this time. I was a new diver and I knew I wanted to go dry and did not want to buy xtra wetsuits. Diving dry was great in the spring, fall and winter. I got A bi-lam and being able to layer was nice. Even with a bi-lam in the summer here in Maine I was often very hot suiting up and coming out of the water. I sometime thought I flooded the suit but it was just sweat! I did a trip to Mexico a month ago and I picked up a 3mm really cheap, like and I am glad I did. It was like having nothing on and packs so small. Recently I have also picked up a 7mm on sale to use in the summer. There are two reasons I got the 7mm. One being to hot in 80-90 degree summer heat and two is to reduce wear and tear on the drysuit. I paid about the same for the wetsuit as on set of seal replacements or a dry zipper. I can't wait do go diving in my 7mm wetsuit and be able to pee when I get in the water!

That is the kind of kit I am trying to set up. I have definitely been convinced to go with a BP/W setup ( surprisingly my LDS instructor is a huge BP/W fan ). One of my biggest holdups has been the exposure suit due to the many styles, brands, fans of brands, etc. I appreciate your input. Advice from those who have used multiple suits in their own pursuit of what works is what I was looking for in this thread. What convinced you to go with the Santi versus, say, a DUI?

I dove the Flx-Extreme and the Santi E-Lite and compared them side by side. Both great suits. BUT.... The Santi IMHO had better/bigger thigh pockets, better attached boots (Flex Soles), better / tougher seam construction. It was an easy decision. The Santi is built like a tank but dives like an expensive sports car. Give Wayne or Jason a call at The Scuba Connection @ 908-359-1250. They are a wealth of information. The more I dive with the gear they recommended, the more I see the wisdom.

Darren

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom