Diving deeper than 30 metres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan Kruger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving since 2000 and have always been a bit of a nervous but optimistic diver. Lately i have
developed a problem in the sense that i get panick attacks when i dive deeper than 30 metres. Is there any explanation for this
or is it simply a case of my mind telling me that it is a deep dive.We dive at least twice per month at either an inland quarry or at
the coast at Sodwana bay.

If routine dives have you nervous then it sounds like you may be getting ahead of yourself or maybe even have some training gaps to fill. Diving past 30 meters is not trivial.

Optimism is nice but training, experience, the right gear and buddy(s) are what you need at 90+ feet. Lacking those some level of distress is appropriate. It could be that you have recognized the magnitude of the dives you are making.

Can you tell us more about the sites, your deep dive training, gear and buddy(s)? For instance are you diving with a pony bottle, do you do OOA drills and so forth?

A persons susceptibility to narcosis varies and you may be running into that. When is doubt, get out.

BTW, Try adding some detail to your profile, that will let everyone be more helpful.

Pete

It's a common symptom of nitrogen narcosis. Expecially given your depth I'd suspect this.

R..

Agree with poster #2 here in the fact that more information from you would be helpful ie "Can you tell us more about the sites, your deep dive training, gear and buddy(s)? For instance are you diving with a pony bottle, do you do OOA drills and so forth?"

By chance, do you ever have this trouble while making a max 75' dive???...but again, please post more background info....

I have been diving since 2000 and have always been a bit of a nervous but optimistic diver. Lately i have
developed a problem in the sense that i get panick attacks when i dive deeper than 30 metres. Is there any explanation for this
or is it simply a case of my mind telling me that it is a deep dive.We dive at least twice per month at either an inland quarry or at

Diving to/below 30m is for some people deep, for others just the beginning. It is relative to experience and training. With both comes comfort in planning and actually (correctly) conducting the dive. If your senses, brain, emotions or whatever (including buddy) tells you that this is 'not right', don't do it. One golden rule of diving is that: 'Anyone can call the dive at any time for any reason'. Having a panic attack under water is not a healthy thing..............Call the dive before it happens and gain experience or decide against that depth.

I go below 30 meters weekly and below 150Ft monthly. Here, there's not much difference to me because of how clear the water is. But I could imagine if I went into a lake or quarry where viz was less than arm's length, I too may get bothered by the depth. I like diving in "wide-open spaces", meaning water with great viz. :wink: I definitely feel more secure and in coontrol when the visiblity is crystal clear. My advice, if you don't feel comfortable about the dive....just don't do it. You would only be putting yourself and your buddy or DM at risk.:14:

I go below 30 meters weekly and below 150Ft monthly. Here, there's not much difference to me because of how clear the water is. But I could imagine if I went into a lake or quarry where viz was less than arm's length, I too may get bothered by the depth. I like diving in "wide-open spaces", meaning water with great viz. :wink: I definitely feel more secure and in coontrol when the visiblity is crystal clear. My advice, if you don't feel comfortable about the dive....just don't do it. You would only be putting yourself and your buddy or DM at risk.:14:

I'm tending to think it's not a narcosis thing but more of what you described ie a lack of visibility thing leading to 'bad case of the nerves'..lol......My advise is to stay shallow(er) if things continue like they are.....Who knows what creatures lie @ a 110 feet of poor vis??.

I look at diving to depths the same as I did while working construction all my life. I decided that there was no reason to be more afraid of greater heights more than moderate heights. If you fall from a height of three stories you are just as dead as if you fell from 50 stories. So why worry about it? Just go on with your work. The same while diving. Although there are other important things to take into consideration at depth, just go on with your planned dive, act like an adult and be safe.

It's probably related to both a lack of comfort with the skills needed and/or conditions at depth and narcosis.

Nitrogen narcosis tends to magnify a person's emotional state. So on a given deep dive in clear, warm, water with great viz and lots to look at a diver may tend toward the euphoric symptpoms of narcosis while the same diver in a dive to the same depths in darker, lower viz coinditons and/or more demanding conditons where there is a perceived (real or not does not matter) threat can evoke anxiety related narcosis symptoms.

Training and experience help, but some people who are normally prone to anxienty even on the surface may never be comfortable at depths and breathing mixes where narcosis is a potential issue.

Could be nervous coupled with narcosis.

You dont HAVE to go deeper than 30m anyway....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom