Diving deeper than 30 metres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was helping a friend finish his Tec Deep training by serving as his buddy during the last 3 dives. We were slow in descending on a dive to 145 ft (spent much of our alloted bottom time on the descent), and decided to accelerate the descent on the next dive, to 165ft - we dropped like rocks. After that dive, my buddy mentioned he had a buzzing in his head, and felt anxious during the dive. The instructor commented that rapid descents appear to enhance the effects of narcosis. May be purely subjective impression or urban legend, but certainly may be a factor in your sensation of panic as well.

I had much the same thing happen to me this last weekend. My buddy and I were doing a dive after our intro to tech certs. Travis seemed darker than ussual this weekend almost pitch at 60ft. We went to 121ffw rather quickly and swam around there a bit. We were not working that hard but covered a lot of ground. I was aware of being lightly narced and went up a few ft to clear and went back down. However on our way back out we deployed our lift bags for our required deco and I found this a bit difficult and started breathing harder and saw I started narcing a little more. Once again I went up a few ft and was able to clear my head enough to deploy my bag. Using some of what I have read here and in other posts as well as training has helped me alot over the time I have been a diver. You won't go wrong by listening to these ppl that have been there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom