Diving Dec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trpplp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been told by some people that I could get by diving Monterey area in the middle of Dec. with a 7mm wetsuit and 5mm hooded vest. I have been looking into dry suits. If I go dry suit I really want to get it soon so I can get out and get use to it before traveling. My husband and I are polar opposites. I get cold easy and he rarely ever gets cold no matter what. Recommendations???

Monterey....in December.....drysuit..... But I hate being cold.

If you're just traveling and don't plan on doing lots of cold water diving, how about just wearing a farmer john? It's a lot of neoprene, but toasty and inexpensive. Aqualung's is rated down to 45F. Though if you get cold easily you'll probably need a drysuit.

I always dive dry in CA, all of CA, but I hate 7mm wetsuits. San Diego is as cold as Monterey from my experience. Catalina is usually a little warmer. Northern Cannel Islands can be about the same.
My experience in 45 degree waters of Puget Sound is that we dove a 14 ml ( 7 + 7 farmer john) so I have no idea how a 7 mm would be warm enough.

Quality of the wetsuit seems to make a huge difference. A 7mm semi-dry is warmer than a 7mm full + 5mm hooded vest for me, even though the semi-dry is so much thinner. Having a drysuit zipper, and tight glideskin wrist, neck, and ankle seals on a wetsuit really helps.

Don't kid yourself. If you usually get cold, you're gonna freeze in a 7mm wetsuit in Monterey, especially in December, when land temperatures are cold enough that you'll find it difficult to warm up on the surface intervals. And if you're boat diving, forget it, you'll need a drysuit. The ride back from Carmel in a wetsuit in December will likely be hypothermic. Trust me. I don't normally get cold and I hung up my wetsuit and hooded vest after my first 100 Monterey dives.

Thanks y'all!! I was assuming dry suit, but not knowing the area I wasn't sure. I will continue researching dry suits and try to get one asap so we can get some water time in them before making the trip. I want to enjoy the diving not be frustrated because I'm cold!! I have heard some people not use to dry suits complain that they are awkward and hard to get in/out of the water. Is their complaint because they weren't use to them, or are they way different than wetsuits? We are use to wetsuits. I have been looking at Bare Trilam Pro, Hollis, and Scuba Pro Everdry/Evertec.

Thanks y'all!! I was assuming dry suit, but not knowing the area I wasn't sure. I will continue researching dry suits and try to get one asap so we can get some water time in them before making the trip. I want to enjoy the diving not be frustrated because I'm cold!! I have heard some people not use to dry suits complain that they are awkward and hard to get in/out of the water. Is their complaint because they weren't use to them, or are they way different than wetsuits? We are use to wetsuits. I have been looking at Bare Trilam Pro, Hollis, and Scuba Pro Everdry/Evertec.

I wouldn't be so quick to decide. I advise renting before buying. Drysuits also require additional skills to use safely. I would dive wet a few times first trying different suit types and only look at drysuits if a good fitting wet suit isn't doing the trick. Even then, don't buy a drysuit until you've had some training and tried a few different ones out if at all possible.

I dive both wet and dry and while the drysuit allows for a warmer dive and a quick warm-back-up after coming out, it is offset by the discomfort of holding your bladder for the duration of the dive +surface swim. Pee valves are an option for this but do some research into them and you'll find they are by no means easy to deal with either.

good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom