Diving Crete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I would like to know if anybody has an idea of what the diving is like off the north coast of Crete. I began my diving career there, gating PADI certified in 1969. I have not been back in 35 years. Back then things Wier a bit different to say the least. I am just curious if the diving there is as good as I think I remember.

Of course, it was all shore diving and there were no dive shops at all. We just dove where we wanted.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Barry

Wish I could help you. I've only gone free diving on Crete and that was back in 1968 at Mallia (sp?). Will be interested in following this thread to see what information is offered.

Where did you get certified on Crete?

Dr. Bill

This may or may not be on topic, depending on whether what I'm asking about is in Crete or not, but....

Where in the Aegean (or elsewhere in the Mediterranean) can one dive on Greek/Roman ruins? (James Bond, "For Your Eyes Only" coming to mind.) I know this isn't simply one of those cases of "only in the movies," because at the very least, I know you can dive on ruins near Ischia/Procida (islands near Capri, in the Bay of Naples). Are there any diveable Greek ruins in Crete or elsewhere in the Aegean?

Delphinus:
Where in the Aegean (or elsewhere in the Mediterranean) can one dive on Greek/Roman ruins? (James Bond, "For Your Eyes Only" coming to mind.) I know this isn't simply one of those cases of "only in the movies," because at the very least, I know you can dive on ruins near Ischia/Procida (islands near Capri, in the Bay of Naples). Are there any diveable Greek ruins in Crete or elsewhere in the Aegean?

Basically forget it.

Diving is incredibly heavily regulated in greece, is illegal totally in lots of areas and has draconian rules where it is allowed.

Ruins are most definately off limits. As are in most areas wreck diving and night diving. There are heavy fines and legal repercussions for breaking these rules and the coastguard and police do check divers and often. These rules are designed to stop anyone getting near any ruins or antiquities.

Greece tends to have great visibility, warm water but due to overfishing and restrictive laws, not a lot to see as of yet.

drbill,

I was stationed there at an Air Force base about 10km east of Iraklion from Nov 1968 till Oct 1970. We had a great commander who recognized the need for us to have some recreation. We had two PADI instructors who got a club going--complete with equipment, compressor, boats, etc.
I got certified in Sept 16, 1969 and still have my old C-card, which becomes a topic of conversation everywhere I show it. It was signed by Ralph Erricson and John Cronin, when they were supposedly still working out of a garage. I wish I had the paperwork with my instructors' names and all, but 35 years is a long time to keep things we don't know might have some historical value. I've been in contact with PADI trying to track down more history (my instructors and such), but the only records they have is that I was certified.
Of course when I dived Crete there were no regulations, nor concern for the ecology as there is now. I spearfished and gathered shells. Shore diving was the norm and where ever we could put into the water we dove. We also took our 12' boats and headed out to Dragon Island, about 8 miles off shore where the water was deep and clear. 130' on my third ocean dive.
No BC's, no computers, no octo's or SPG's. Heck, I didn't even own a wet suit and dove in the winter. Sucked air like a buffalo when cold.

I kinda have this urge to go back, although nothing is there any more except the reefs. And there are quite a few dive operations now.
I had a Greek friend who dove with me by the name of George Frajidakus (spelling) who I'm also trying to get a location on. He was a good dude and a fantastic dive buddy even though he wasn't certified.

I gave up diving till two years ago, took a full course for safety sake. Man, has things changed. Got a lot of new gear and do all my diving in the tropics now that I retired. Trying to do about 4-7 trips a year into the Caribbean area. Such places as Bona ire, Cozumel, Roatan. Last September was my first trip. Since then I've been in Florida twice, Cozumel twice, Riviera Maya. Another trip to Coz. in October, Nassau in November and Roatan in Jan. coming.

Anymore feedback?

Back
Top Bottom