Diving Cordova, AK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainly! (assuming our schedules don't get crossed-- I'll be in NYC for the second week of August visiting some friends).... in case no one has made the recommendation yet, pick up a copy of "The Milepost", it's your guide to the entire Alaska Highway, literally mile by mile.

http://www.themilepost.com/

beezwax:
...pick up a copy of "The Milepost", it's your guide to the entire Alaska Highway, literally mile by mile.
Yes, definitely!

And rather than driving straight through, I would recommend planning to take some extra time to enjoy the trip through Canada.

And if you take the AlCan (uh... oops.... they call it the Alaska Hwy now :rolleyes: ) rather than the Casiar, definitely plan on stopping at the Liard Hot Springs :D

beezwax:
Certainly! (assuming our schedules don't get crossed-- I'll be in NYC for the second week of August visiting some friends).... in case no one has made the recommendation yet, pick up a copy of "The Milepost", it's your guide to the entire Alaska Highway, literally mile by mile.

http://www.themilepost.com/

I'll keep you posted on my moving plans.

I've heard of the Milepost. I didn't realize there was a new one each year. I'll definatly pick one up.

Thanks for all the great advice... and I'll await the "story" :D

Snowbear:
Yes, definitely!

And rather than driving straight through, I would recommend planning to take some extra time to enjoy the trip through Canada.

And if you take the AlCan (uh... oops.... they call it the Alaska Hwy now :rolleyes: ) rather than the Casiar, definitely plan on stopping at the Liard Hot Springs :D

I'm planning on taking at least 10 days to get there. Try to do some diving along the way.

Snowbear:
definitely plan on stopping at the Liard Hot Springs :D

YES!!

Might have hit another snag... HR is telling me 20% less than the salary the principal told me last night.

scubapolly:
Might have hit another snag... HR is telling me 20% less than the salary the principal told me last night.

I hope that doesn't work out to be the case-- you're getting the worst runaround ever with these AK positions, I hope you won't hold it against the state.

beezwax:
I hope that doesn't work out to be the case-- you're getting the worst runaround ever with these AK positions, I hope you won't hold it against the state.

I know... this is starting to get ridiculous! The principal is trying to make it work. He agrees with me, that this is total BS. So hopefully he will be able to make it happen. Don't worry I won't hold it against AK or the people from there :D

I am extremely bummed, but I think I am going to have to turn down the job in Alaska, and put off my plans to get somewhere fun like that for a year.
After crunching the numbers and doing as much creative accounting as humanly possible, there is just no way I can come up with the money to be able to make the move (gas to get there, hotels along the way, AK teaching licence, AK vehicle registration, 3 months rent+ utilities + food) since I wouldn't be getting my first pay check until Oct 1.

Grrrrrr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom