Diving Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the double 50s are the way I'll go. If I fill them to 2400 psi I'll have 80 cf and that should be more than enough air.

I also bought the solid bar type manifold so whichever works I'll keep and the other goes out on eBay or somewhere.

I'll order the bands from thepeanutking and the harness from Allan Klauda.

Anybody ever use Nitrox with these regulators (essentially stock) or with the Phoenix nozzle?

Richard

I have used Nitrox with my old round label Royal Aqua Master and have used it many times with a Phoenix RAM.

They don't have to be O2 cleaned for Nitrox up to 40%, but it would be easy to O2 clean it. I would not use Nitrox higher than 40% on my back gas so there is no point on O2 cleaning a double hose regulator.

The Phoenix are also used on a regularly basis with 3500 psi tanks. I have done it many times and so have many other divers including one of my dive buddies.

OK, as soon as I hear about ordering the tank bands, I'll buy a couple of Al 50s and the appropriate harness. While I'm at it, I'll order a single or perhaps travel harness for a single tank. I'm not sure what tank but 'some' tank.

As soon as the Phoenix nozzles come in I'll send my DAAM in for conversion and upgrade to the new diaphragm and miscellaneous components. I should be good to go in any conceivable configuration. The jury is out on whether I use the cam pack.

I may also get another DAAM (or something) that I'll dive as essentially stock, retrofitting only the internals. That's a future project.

Thanks for all the help!
Richard

Have used Nitrox and 3,500 psi many times in several of my twin hosers. No issues with mine.

N

Have used Nitrox and 3,500 psi many times in several of my twin hosers. No issues with mine.

N

Is the 3500 psi AFTER conversion to Phoenix?

Does anyone know if a box-stock DAAM can handle a 3000 psi tank? I have it all sitting here (Al 50, DAAM, harness on order) and I would like to use it in the pool while I await my Phoenix conversion.

OTOH, I am not interested in causing any damage with the higher pressure.

Richard

Does anyone know if a box-stock DAAM can handle a 3000 psi tank? I have it all sitting here (Al 50, DAAM, harness on order) and I would like to use it in the pool while I await my Phoenix conversion.

Richard

It will not damage it, the Navy used them for years on 3000 psi tanks. The main issue at 3500 psi would be the yoke stretching too much.

Richard

Yes, a box stock DAAM can handle 3,000 psi but it might breath a little stiff down to about 2,500.

Some of the very last Royal Aqua Masters came with a heavy yoke, I have seen at least one round label DAAM that appeared to have a factory heavy yoke. These can be used to 3,500 psi with no issues. The standard duty yoke (long or short) will work to 3,000 but beyond that I would not go. The yoke that comes with the Phoenix is very sturdy and is of current manufacture and can be used at any pressure suitable for a yoke connection.

N

I am really looking forward to getting the conversion installed. In the meantime, I would like to play with the DAAM and an Al 50 in the LDS pool. I will have the standard single harness wit bands by the end of the week and I really want to begin learning how to use a double hose regulator!

I have everything on order to build up a set of double Al 50s and I'm looking at that travel harness as a way to use tanks that are not just 6.9" diameter. This is going to be fun!

Thanks to all!
Richard

Back
Top Bottom