Diving conditions during the winter months

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdtgray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What are the conditions in the lakes during the late fall through spring timeframe (vis, temp, etc)? I will be moving to Texas sometime in November and have gotten the impression from this board that the diving conditions deteriorate substancially over the winter.

Thanks

cdtgray:
What are the conditions in the lakes during the late fall through spring timeframe (vis, temp, etc)? I will be moving to Texas sometime in November and have gotten the impression from this board that the diving conditions deteriorate substancially over the winter.

Thanks

It all depends on where you're from, what you're used to, and what part of Texas you're moving to. The water temps are gonna get considerably colder in North Texas, but the vis should be pretty good, considering that there won't be near as many classes out there stirring it up...lol. The local favorite, Clear Springs Scuba Park, will see temps in the 50's, maybe a little cooler. I'm not sure about the southern areas. 50's is not real cold if you're from up north, but down here it sux...lol. The worst part is getting out and changing out of the wetsuit.

I've done a good amount of diving in the great lakes and off of the Jersey coast; 50 degrees doesnt strike me at all as bad - just have to break out my drysuit. Of course, diving alone is only fun to a point so hopefully the temps dont drive away too many divers.

cdtgray:

Thanks

Well welcome to Texas and howdy. If you are locating to Austin area you are in luck. Lake Travis has some very good periods of good vis for these parts. It also has depths to the 170' range. There is a windex layer (30' vis) that moves up and down lake. If you do extended range, right now the windex layer (30' vis) can be picked up at 135 and it goes on down to the 170 range. Temp there is 54 and in the shallows it is 80 degrees perfect for those hangs. . This good vis layer moves up and down the the lake. Springtime it seems to be up at the shallows.

Again Welcome to Texas
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom