Diving Computer North Edge Aqua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cagri

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,
Is any body use or tried North Edge Aqua diving computer. Please share with me your comments

thanks
Cagri

I have the watch. They claim that Buhmann ZH-L 16c is used. Unfortunately, I can not say which gradient factors are used because they can not be freely selected. I have dived the watch together with my perdix, but I can not say anything about it because I have only made one dive. The build quality is quite good for the price.
In Appendix you find the usermanual.

Attachments

• AUQA EN manual.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 1,061
I have the watch. They claim that Buhmann ZH-L 16c is used. Unfortunately, I can not say which gradient factors are used because they can not be freely selected. I have dived the watch together with my perdix, but I can not say anything about it because I have only made one dive. The build quality is quite good for the price.
In Appendix you find the usermanual.
Interesting. The Deco display is the same as that in the Excursion/Crest!
How do you know they claim to use Buhlmann?
i wonder if their Safety Factors are also like those in the Excursion/Crest?

Interesting. The Deco display is the same as that in the Excursion/Crest!
How do you know they claim to use Buhlmann?
i wonder if their Safety Factors are also like those in the Excursion/Crest?

Its written on the backside of the watch. You can see it on the pictures on ali express.
Safety factors are agrassiv - medium - conservative

I just got one to play with; did three dives with it on my arm next to a Shearwater Perdix AI. Overall impressions are mixed.

It's the size of a large-ish watch, but made of what feels like stainless steel and is fairly heavy. It's possible to wear it as a watch, but for my taste, it's a bit too large and heavy for that, although I haven't worn a watch in almost two decades, so my perspective on this may be biased. Here it is next to an Aeris Elite T3 (Oceanic VT3, Hollis DG03) and a Shearwater Perdix AI:

kfuP4fL.jpeg

The screen contrast is okay; it's easy to read. Backlight works fine.

JXWj6SX.png

Depth keeping is accurate - I didn't see it deviate more than 0.1m from the Perdix.
On the first dive of the day, with safety factor set to normal (choices are conservative/normal/aggressive), NDL display was within a couple minutes of that on the Perdix.
Compass works and seems to be accurate after calibration.

Now for the bad stuff.

No wet activation. When I splash down with it in watch mode, it stayed there. There was an icon indicating that I'm diving, but I had to manually switch it to dive display mode.
No elapsed dive time. At all. The scuba mode screen shows compass heading, NDL time (that one is front and center, in the largest font), current time, depth, ascent/descent rate and temperature - but no dive time. On a dive computer, that's basically an unforgivable sin.
On the second dive of the day, the NDL started getting noticeably shorter than on the Perdix. I suspect that its algorithm has surface nitrogen outgassing set to a fairly slow value. At about 22m, I noticed that it has one minute of NDL remaining, while the Perdix had five. I shallowed up to about 15m, and the Perdix immediately relaxed my NDL to about ten minutes, but this watch stayed at 1 minute for a while (definitely longer than a minute), and then decided that I have violated the NDL. At this point it started counting forward (seconds from zero to 180, then minutes), non-stop beeping (and I couldn't shut it up) and flashing signs that I need to go to 5 meters for a safety stop and surface. I kept going as normal until the time came to go for the safety stop some 10-15 minutes later, at which point I discovered two more interesting features. The first is that its safety stop is five minutes rather than the customary three (I have not yet found if it can be changed), and the second is that if you go below six meters or above four meters during the safety stop, it pauses the countdown until you go back into that prescribed range.
After the dive, the SCUBA mode screen angrily proclaimed 'NO DIVE', but going into the menu and clearing tissues got it back to normal.
I'm not sure what's going on with the dive durations in the log. My first dive is recorded as having started at 10:45, with a 46:59 duration, while Perdix reports it as 10:37 start with 55 minute duration. Second dive is 12:43 with 54:59 duration, while Perdix has 12:40 and 56 minutes. Third dive is 14:37 and 57:16, Perdix has 14:37 and 57 minutes.
Thermometer is constantly reading about 2C higher than the Perdix
There is no gauge mode, so you can't use it as a backup bottom timer/depth gauge next to a real computer.

I'm going on a liveaboard in a couple days, gonna dive it on nitrox in aggressive mode, see how it behaves.

Hei, what is your opinion on this dive computer, did you use it with nitrox? I had ordered one and I will try it in Dahab at the blue hole. Thank you!

Hei, what is your opinion on this dive computer, did you use it with nitrox? I had ordered one and I will try it in Dahab at the blue hole. Thank you!
I have stopped using mine. The five minute safety stop requirement is annoying, and there's signs of rust showing up around the pressure sensor holes.

The five minute safety stop requirement is annoying

Why is that annoying? How is it different from other brands?

Why is that annoying? How is it different from other brands?
My diving experience is considerably smaller than yours, but with one exception, I have always seen the safety stop as three minutes at five meters. This computer always does five, which leaves you hanging for an extra two minutes as your buddies (and guide) are twiddling their thumbs. The one exception that I know of are Suunto computers that give you five minutes of safety stop if you get close to NDL at a significant depth (30 meters or so), but this one does it every time.

Back
Top Bottom