Diving Carmel Sun 6/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parabuzzle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I did 2 dives with the Silver Prince down in Carmel. We did Honeymoon and Mono Lobo. Viz wasn't that bad (10-20 ft.) and the surge was tolerable with a 3-6ft swell. Overall it was a couple of good dives. It was my first drysuit dives in cold water and I really dialed in my buoyancy on the second dive. The water temp according to my computer was 47 degrees and I can tell you one thing for sure... I am never donning a wetsuit in less than 80 degree water again, EVER! It was so nice to be warm and toasty on my dives.

I did a full write up on my blog if anyone is interested: [Divelog] June 13, 2010 – Silver Prince Dive Charter | Tech Dive Team

-Mike

It was my first drysuit dives in cold water and I really dialed in my buoyancy on the second dive.
-Mike
Did you practice in the pool first or were you diving dry in warmer climates? It took me a couple shallow shore dives to get dialed in with weighting and control.

Did you practice in the pool first or were you diving dry in warmer climates? It took me a couple shallow shore dives to get dialed in with weighting and control.

I had a few hours in the pool earlier in the week so I could work out trim but that was it. I just hit the zone on the second dive and everything just clicked. I am a buoyancy nut though and really enjoy messing with it. (Cave diving requires a considerable amount of skill and understanding of it)

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a presentation about buoyancy control and how improper weighting can really affect a dive by alot by decreasing what I call the "green zone". The "green zone" is that area where your breathing can fine tune your depth but you can still counteract it by an opposite action... like when you breathe in and you go up a little and when you breathe out you start to drop a little. By having too much weight you have to counter that by putting that amount of lift in your BC (or suit) and that causes more air molecules to be ready to expand or compress. That means the "green zone" is decreased because the air in your BC will expand to the point at which you can't counter the lift by exhaling or visa versa. This usually results in a diver messing with their hose too much that, in turn, results in a dive of fighting your buoyancy and not seeing that super rare octopus or something... I figured I would make a little video with illustrations and post it on Vimeo or Youtube and anyone that wants to use it for anything could. What do you guys think?

-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom