Diving Canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, someone told me that OMS used to make a diving "canister" which was essentially a clear polycarbonate tube with end caps and O-rings to keep water out and the items inside dry. Do you know if OMS or DUI still make some sort of diving canister that could be used to carry (and keep dry) items to depth, such as a PLB or other life-saving devices? I know there are a few manufacturers that make a PLB canister for diving, but I think it should be simpler than that, similar to the picture of the OMS "tube" I saw on the internet.

Thanks!

The OMS canister is no longer made. PLB canisters appear to be the only commercially available option. As giffenk points out, some people have successfully adapted an old flashlight body. Others have had Light Monkey custom-make them a canister of the type they use for their lights except without the switch, cable gland, etc.

The OMS canister is no longer made. PLB canisters appear to be the only commercially available option. As giffenk points out, some people have successfully adapted an old flashlight body. Others have had Light Monkey custom-make them a canister of the type they use for their lights except without the switch, cable gland, etc.

Yeah, I've been through those routes and actually have the HDVSEATEK canister, but I'm looking for something different. I asked DUI specifically to see if they have something, or maybe even plan to bring the OMS canister back. I've been looking at the Princeton Tec Shockwave II flashlight for a container as it's pretty cheap and it uses 8 C batteries so it looks like there's plenty of space inside without them, but I can't seem to get anyone to send me interior dimensions. I also contacted LM and they said they could make me one for $250US. I figured there has to be a more cost effective way.

@BFRedrocks, I'm totally with you. One would think there would be sufficient demand for a very simple canister rated to recreational depths at a price point less than $200. I use the McMurdo PLB canister to hold a phone, money, etc., and if I recall correctly it was a bit over $200. The LM canister was a little too small diameter for my intended use.

Try a local machine shop

It's hard to imagine that a local machine shop, which would have no experience making something like this, could do better than Light Monkey will do for $250. LM's canister includes latches, o-ring seal, etc.--just like their time-tested light canisters.

It's hard to imagine that a local machine shop, which would have no experience making something like this, could do better than Light Monkey will do for $250. LM's canister includes latches, o-ring seal, etc.--just like their time-tested light canisters.

Not hard to imagine for me considering the markups LM has on some of their products. Also, machine shops I know are quite familiar with high pressure systems and seals.

Regardless, the latches and o-rings aren't rocket science. All you really need is the shop to make the canister body and maybe drill the screw holes. You could easily install latches and o-rings yourself.

Main costs would be the blank ($75 for a 3"Dx12"L Delrin rod) and machining fees. Could probably make two from a 12" rod with minimal fee increase.

Or you could buy the Delrin and find yourself a Maker Space with a CNC mill to do it yourself.

I suppose it depends what one's time is worth to them. I once had something custom made at a machine shop, and I recall how much time I spent making drawings, visiting the shop, explaining what I wanted, picking it up, etc. The stainless latches probably aren't cheap, either. And after I, who have never done this before, screw up the Delrin rod by drilling the holes poorly or whatever, I face the prospect of having to buy another one. More than one of my home projects has gone like that. I have learned that for people like me who didn't do all that well in high school shop class, it's best to pay someone who knows what he's doing. Unless one has some experience making stuff like this--and it sounds like you do--I think the "markup" for LM's expertise is not unreasonable. You're guaranteed the same quality for which LM is renowned. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Aren't there threaded PVC pipes and caps that would work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom