Diving by yourself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think it is smart to dive off a kayak by your self.

I prefer it to diving off of a commercial boat with an insta-buddy.

I like when things are kept NORMAL
Always like someone to be there while diving for many reasons.

I prefer it to diving off of a commercial boat with an insta-buddy.

Actually my favorite diving is solo off a commercial boat. It combines the social aspect top side for the SI and long, peaceful dives. You still have medical backup topside if you really need it, something missing for solo kayak divers.

I think it's fine for me to do it.

Whether or not it's fine for you, only you can decide.

Do you think it is smart to dive off a kayak by your self.

Me, diving by myself? Sure. I've got plenty of training and solo diving experience.

You, diving by yourself? No, assuming your profile is accurate (0-24 dives)

Solo diving is a skill that requires some planning AND experience/skill.

Also diving off a Kayak means little to me... diving HOW? I know of divers in Hawaii that solo dive off Kayak's.. is this something I would recommend for just anyone... NO! :no: Is diving solo off a Kayak something that IMO should be outlawed... NO!

One issue with Kayak diving is the physical requirements. Most don't encourage vigorous exercise after a dive. However if you are good shape, experienced with this, etc. than it becomes what makes sense for the individual. Solo diving in general is poo-pood by most agencies. However I think there are situations where solo diving is safer vs. team diving... especially when the team is rather clueless..

I guess my answer is... the question can not be answered because you have not adequately defined any parameters....

I solo dive but use double tanks. Under 50 ft I think it would be fine. Any deeper I would at least have an H-valve and 2 complete regs for redundence. Spare mask is a good idea too, if you lose yours hanging at the right depth for a safety stop gets tuff. Watch your SPG closely and have fun. If you dont feel comfortable with it then surface. Be sure you can climb back in either with your gear on or without and Id practice that in fairly shallow water, without standing of course.

Back
Top Bottom