Diving Bunaken & Pulau Weh - Exposure suit to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zebrax0r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all.

Well, I'm off to Indo on the 22nd of this month, and I'm not sure what I'm in for in terms of water temps. I am about to grab a 5mm Pinnacle Elastoprene. I'm thinking this is robust enough to keep me warm, even in harsh thermoclines. Will I be OK with a 5mm, or do people anticipate that I'll swelter this time of year, in this kind of water? I've warn 5mm suits in Borneo, Malaysia, on a previous trip - seemed fine...

Thanks.

z

If u were ok in Malaysia, guess u will be ok in Bunaken too (didn't hear my friend complain abt being cold in Weh with 3mil). I am usually ok with 3mil + a hood, even for 1+hr dive. Oh ya, but thermoclines are unpredictable... Anyway, have fun!

Hi there,

I don't know about Weh, but Bunaken you should be doing alright with 0.5 + 0.5 vest and hood.
3mm will be safer though, but I don't see a need for 5mm.

Cheers,
Ice

5 mm seems a bit heavy. Herself is a chilly mortal and only wears 1.5 plus a hood. If it turns out to be colder than expected (unlikely) you could always hire a suit.

Why not email the dive centres and ask? I would have thought Bunaken would be fine with 3 mm but not sure about Weh.

I have only very little biopren and felt very much ok in a (long) 3mm wetsuit plus hooded vest in both locations. So unless you get really quickly cold a 3 mm wetsuit should be sufficient..

I dived Weh in mainly boardies and rash top. I did put on a 3mm for the deep wreck, and you can get some thermoclines getting pushed up from the deep - esp. at sites like The Canyon (my Fave.). I don't feel the cold as much as some though, but I imagine a 3mm would be fine (and lighter in your luggage than a 5mm).

I agree -- a 3mm has served me in Bali, Borneo and Sulewesi. I also bring a rash guard & 1mm hood just in case

If you get cold a 5mm won't be too hot, can always unzip a bit -- but will weigh more ;-) Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom