Diving Buddy - San Fran to Monterey Bay on Aug 29th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds about right. Straight shot down 101.
That's probably your best bet, and you can stay right on the freeway.

Probably two hours.

I think I'll possibly just rent a car then... Thanks for the advice everyone.

Aquaregia,

Although I know I want to dive, I'm not sure on the details. Perhaps we could chat over the phone? I would need to take your advice on our best bet. Considering I won't be able to pack my gear around on this work trip, I'm only bringing my gloves, boots, masks and snorkel. The rest I'll need to rent. I'm assuming being in a 7mm or so will be fine?

Secondly, should we snag a local dive shop for the day, or are you experienced enough with the area to know your way around? I'm really up for the best situation in your opinion as a local.

Last edited:
Yeah, we can chat on the phone, I'll PM you.

I dive in a 7mm with only minor discomfort, but a lot of people advocate drysuits. I don't have the financial resources to know any better, so I'm happy with my 7mm :) Make sure you have a cutting device of some sort, I'm not sure if that's usually included with rental gear. I use EMT shears from CVS ($4.59+tax). I don't usually rent in Monterey so I'm not sure of the best place, perhaps someone else could chime in on that.

In terms of dives, the Breakwater is excellent and also an easy dive. One tank along the wall and one tank along the pipe to a set of Metridium fields is usually nice. Max depth is around 50', water temperature is low 50s and there's maybe a 200yd shore swim involved. Visibility can be between 5' and 20'. There's a dive shop right at the breakwater, so you can fill tanks during the surface interval and avoid lugging extra metal. That dive shop rents LP85s and probably AL80s, depending on your preference. I'm bad on air so I'll probably grab an LP95 from my LDS in Santa Cruz.

If you have a dive light, especially if it's an LED with a tight beam, you should bring that too. It's nice to poke in between rocks and stuff. If it's a broad beam it'll just reflect off all the stuff in the water though.

Still looking for a driving partner from San Fran, or Oakland. Will pay for gas :D

Any updates? We still a go next Sunday? Anyone else want to join?

Any updates? We still a go next Sunday? Anyone else want to join?

I'm driving over to Long Beach for some diving a couple weeks later, so will only do this dive if I can find someone to ride with from San Fran down.

I would really like to dive, but would prefer not to drive / rent a car.

If someone is still going diving down there this Sunday, and is driving from the San Fran area, please let me tag along!

Alright cool. Let me know by, say, Thursday or something, so I can make other plans in case it doesn't pan out. Hope it does, though.

I normally would volunteer since I'm north of the city but I already have plans and will be down in Monterey the whole weekend... Hopefully someone can give you a ride. Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom