Diving Browning Pass in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone tell me what is the water temperature there in April? Thanks.

My dive log shows a constant 45ºF in April for that area. That said, temperature was measured using an Orca Pilot Ean computer - not the most reliable temperature sensing device out there. Suffice it to say it was below 50º by a few degrees.

Disagree with those saying dry gloves are required. I have used 5mm wet gloves diving Port Hardy since trying dry gloves on my first trip. Had so many problems that I switched to 5mm gloves on my second trip and have not looked back. I find that other parts of my body get colder quicker than my hands and I want the dexterity while using my SLR housing.

I'll second or third the option of renting a car rather than dealing with the small airline. Found the cost difference to be minimal - usually an advantage to the rental - and I, too, enjoyed the drive up and back.

It probably won't be below 43 or above 50. I've only been there at end of August and it was a consistent 45-47 then. One of our buddies did the entire trip in a wetsuit and wet gloves and wasn't complaining. And we did 4 dives each day. Having said that I was felling a bit chilled after an hour in my neoprene dry suit with dry gloves. Some people can tolerate it better I guess.

BTW I just looked at kayak and you can rent a car for a week for $186 all in from Nanaimo . Not sure how long your charter is

Water temps won't change much through the year as the area is fed by deep ocean upwelling from the pacific. So beyond the first 5 or 10 ft being sun warmed or full of rain water (as it was when I was there in late aug last year) you won't see it getting too much warmer. But when we were there 45-48f according to mu zoop. Which is about what they are usually in the waters here.

Thanks for all the feedback! I have ordered a pair of dry gloves and also decided to just go with the extra baggage seats... The convenience factor outweighed the cost... I will be sure to post photos when I get back!

The diving is awesome - you will be sure to capture some amazing photos. There tends to be a lot of diving, usually at least 3 cool water dives per day, so I would certainly recommend dry gloves to ensure maximum dexterity and enjoyment. Have a fantastic dive vacation!

My trip to God's Pocket was amazing... Bill and Annie are wonderful! What an amazing country... I have never seen so much life in such concentration! I also met wonderful people on my trip and I will be returning later this year to do a photography workshop with Richard Salas (who I met on the trip)...

My new Whites Drysuit worked great (although my Si Tech dry glove system flooded on first dive of the last day)... Annie gave me a simple rubber glove to stretch over my ring for the rest of the day and it worked wonders! Simple is good! My new photography rig worked fine, but I need to learn more about underwater photography! I am now a huge fan of cold water diving!

Here are some pictures from my trip... Diving at Browning Pass, BC - a set on Flickr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom