Diving Browning Pass in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jungho Kim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am finalizing my trip to Browning Pass in early April and I have a few questions.

1) I will be bringing my brand spanking new Whites Fusion Tech drysuit along with the Thermal Fusion undergarment, Whites Heat Drysuit hood with zipper. The question is will my 5mm Bare wetsuit glove suffice or do I need dry gloves? The coldest water temp I have dove thus far has been 65°F. I am worried about the loss of dexterity with dry gloves.
2) Pacific Coastal airlines seems to have a strict 50lbs baggage limit. I will be bringing my underwater photo rig. With the housing, two strobes, photo light, handle and clamps, plus bag, the rig alone will weigh about 20lbs! My scuba bag normally comes in about 45lbs so how have other taken their equipment to Browning Pass? Did you ship some equipment up there separately?

thanks,

JK

Hey JK,

I have been up to Browning Pass area many times over the years. DRY gloves are the only way to go. You may lose a bit of dexterity, but better that than frozen hands :shocked2:. I always swore by regular gloves, but after switching to dry gloves a couple of years ago, I'll never go back.

Can't comment about shipping camera gear, as I have never dealt with Pacific Coastal Airlines before. Personally I would be leery about shipping camera gear. Too much potential for damage. Could you not just carry it on ??

Where are you staying when you are at Browning Pass ?? The Hideaway, God's Pocket, liveaboard ??

Have a fun and safe trip. Some of the BEST cold water diving in the world up there. :D

Divegoose

Divegoose,

I will be staying at God's Pocket... Thanks for the input, I will be picking up a pair of dry gloves. I will most definitely carry on the camera equipment but the total weight limit by Pacific Coastal airlines for baggage (checked in + carryon) is 50lbs. They do accept more for an extra charge but it depends on the total weight on the plane and it could mean that some of my bags will have to come on a "later" flight! It looks like they have "baggage seats" which guarantees space for all my bags so I may have to go that route... This sport is not cheap!!

JK

Your traveling within your own country, therefore there are zero customs issues to consider...this means absolute simplicity in pre-shipping your dive gear out.
Ship it so that it arrives a day or two before you do in case of delays. I think the best is to ship gear so that it arrives a day or two before I leave, that way I can track it and I am assured that it is there. This also eliminates having to make sacrificial choices of having to leave something at home due to weight concerns.
Bring your camera gear with you as it is fragile as well as valuable, this alleviates any excess baggage or left behind due to weight issues.
I'm from Sask, if I was flying to Ont. to dive the St. Lawrence, I'd ONLY be traveling with carry on! Waiting for bags at an airport SUCKS, why do it if you don't have to?

I was diving in 48 degrees this weekend and never felt the need for dry gloves. I believe the coldest I have been in is 43 degrees. It is doable but not very comfortable.

You will LOVE God's Pocket -- those folks are so nice, and they run such a good establishment. They know their sites, and the boat is spacious and has a lovely warm, enclosed cabin. The lodging is comfortable and has plenty of hot water, and the food is incredible. I would love to go back.

Or rent a car from Vancouver or nanaimo and drive up. It's 4 hours to port hardy from nanaimo and a beautiful drive. Then you won't have to worry about weight limits on a small commuter . I also agree you won't regret getting dry gloves.The diving up there is spectacular.

I forgot to mention the best part of the God's Pocket boat:

[video=youtube;Zfd7TPrW9fI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Zfd7TPrW9fI[/video]

You will LOVE God's Pocket -- those folks are so nice, and they run such a good establishment. They know their sites, and the boat is spacious and has a lovely warm, enclosed cabin. The lodging is comfortable and has plenty of hot water, and the food is incredible. I would love to go back.

Bill and Annie run a great operation. :acclaim: Lots of great sites in and around Browning Pass such as Browning Wall, 7 Tree, Snowfall, Hussar Point, and a short distance away Dillon Rock (wolf eels everywhere). There are also other nearby sites such as Hunt Rock, Crocker Rock (wreck of the Themis), Scarlett Point (lots of puget sound king crabs last time I was there), and Christie Pass.

I'm sure you will have a great trip. Looking forward to your trip report !!

Divegoose

Or rent a car from Vancouver or nanaimo and drive up. It's 4 hours to port hardy from nanaimo and a beautiful drive. Then you won't have to worry about weight limits on a small commuter . I also agree you won't regret getting dry gloves.The diving up there is spectacular.

I agree with the advice except the traveler has to rent a car for the full 7 (10,14) days, even thought they are parking it for all of the rental period except 2 or 3 days. I doubt there are any deals on one-way rentals in each direction

If I absolutely, positively, had to have all my gear there to meet the boat (which the OP would prefer) then I would go with the rental from Van or Nanaimo and pay for the days the car sits.

Ditto on the dry gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom