diving Britannia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone is going to be up there this weekend diving the Ready and the Cape Swain (the wreck about 100m South of the Ready) I would be grateful if you could take some viz / temp readings for me at both Station A and Station B (if you are properly equipped). Both measurement stations have appropriate contact information.

I am running a GUE Project baseline on this site, and the more information that can be gathered up there, the better. You'll find two measurement station on-site. Station A is near the stern of the Ready, Station B near the stern of the Cape Swain. My goal is to heavily promote this everywhere I can. It'll raise awareness about the mine outflow cleanup, and we might learn some interesting things about the recovery of the area (and the impact of the Ready).

Both are fairly substantial, quasi-permanent structure sitting on the bottom (or they were when our team left them there on Jan 26).

My project's official webpage: Britannia Beach | projectbaseline

Project Baseline overall: projectbaseline

Feel free to drop me a line with an inquiries!

ps. forgot to mention that I will be diving up there with a buddy on Sunday the 9th. We're hopefully goiung to be re-verifying GPS coordinates for the stations so we can create good GIS data, as well as taking measurements.

I dove this site once, and sadly, the visibility was about 6 inches. I found the wrecks by the dock by hitting my head on it , and lost my dive buddy shortly afterwards. Youtube has some great looking videos of the sites, and based on those, the visibility can be VERY nice in there. but as mentioned before, the sea bed is very very soft and silty, so stay off it! we did our gear up in the parking lot of Galileos, and just ran across the highway fins in hand. I was up there a few weeks ago (not diving) but showed the dive site to my girlfriend, and i must say the entry looks like it has gotten worse. you almost need a ladder to get down to the water.

anyone take any pictures/video recently?

This weekend the vis was decent. The access is not great but I've used it when it was worse. And I do it in double 130s. You just gotta go super slow.

Though I have seen awful vis too - literally zero vis in the top 5 meters but totally crystalline below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom