Diving at Santa Barbara Island - new skill needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, everything is fun and games till you get mugged by a pack of crazed pinnipeds who are bent on stripping you of mask, fins, and regulator and then dragging you into the kelp. No thanks :wink:

So what is the proper protocol for diving in sea lion infested waters? I'm assuming remove snorkel before entering water to be the first. I always lower my snorkel when frolicking with the locals around Seal Rock. What else....maybe not brush my teeth in the morning, or leave the deodorant behind, or pee my wetsuit as a secondary line of defense :) But seriously, is there anything else to do? Bite back?

It was fun making it back to the boat...batting heads with them....and the smell!

At first it was just play, but by the end of the dive the group of sea lions around us started getting more bold. Grabbing fins, nipping the top of your hood, grabbing my console, sometimes a nip on the shoulder. It didn't hurt, it was just play.

These guys were all young, maybe a year old max. Like puppies that swim really good.

I uploaded a video from the 2nd dive of the day. Lots of sea lion action.
See it HERE - 39.30mb High Res (WMV)

Cheers,
- Mike

I've been mobbed a lot off of Anacapa. The only time it ever got spooky was a dive off of N. Cresent with a few of the SoCal regulars. There was a hemisphere of sea lions above and around us with a bull in the mix. Nothing happened but it got a little wierd.

I have more fin-grabs from harbor seals than sea lions.

Jim

miket:

Cheers,
- Mike
Wow, amazing video! I've never seen more than two or three sea lions at a time...I think I might be a bit freaked out by so many. Although perhaps I shouldn't worry, since Dr. Bill thinks I might have a gender-based immunity to them! LOL! :wink:

miket:
At first it was just play, but by the end of the dive the group of sea lions around us started getting more bold. Grabbing fins, nipping the top of your hood, grabbing my console, sometimes a nip on the shoulder. It didn't hurt, it was just play.

These guys were all young, maybe a year old max. Like puppies that swim really good.

Cheers,
- Mike

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.... :14:

scubacalifornia:
That's an awesome shot. I'm going to SBI on the Pacific Star next Saturday. Looks like the natives are friendly.
Kevin
Kev, have a great time my friend, wish I could join/hang out with you merry bunch of women chasin' seal whisperin' stud puppets.

Archangel:
Kev, have a great time my friend, wish I could join/hang out with you merry bunch of women chasin' seal whisperin' stud puppets.
Tevis...when are we going to the oil rigs?

LAJim:
I've been mobbed a lot off of Anacapa. The only time it ever got spooky was a dive off of N. Cresent with a few of the SoCal regulars. There was a hemisphere of sea lions above and around us with a bull in the mix. Nothing happened but it got a little wierd.

I have more fin-grabs from harbor seals than sea lions.

Jim

Yea, the bulls scare me too, they can be very large and very protective of the harem of cows. This was so special, these little 30-40 lb animals that acted like puppies.

- Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom