Diving around Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys, i gotta go to Orland for a few days with work at the end of sept, to Orlando specifically. I was wondering is there any diving worth doing within driving distance of Orlando (ie can get there from my hotel in Orlando in time to dive and get back that evening), boat diving preferably, as i'll need to get a buddy over there and i'm hoping the dive boat will pair me up with someone. All comments welcome, thanks in advance..

Well, this may seem cheesy, but I would actually recommend the DiveQuest experience at Epcot. It is a little expensive, but we loved every second of it when we did it. They have 2 dives that leave daily, I think one at 4:00pm and one at 5:00pm. You get to see a variety of marine life and dive in ideal conditions. I know this seems like a rather artificial diving experience, but everyone I know that has done it, loved it! For more info, you can go to: http://www.solarius.com/dvp/wdw/divequest.htm. Also, I believe you can print a coupon off of the NAUI web-site. Hope you enjoy your visit to our town!

now that's one i'd never heard of!!

Your options are springs or making various trips to the coasts for beach/boat dives.

Springs:
Blue Spring - Orange City, about 40 mins on I-4 east (state park, $5 entrance i think)
Paradise Springs - Belleview/Ocala, about 1 hour on SR-408 to turnpike ($30 day)
Blue Grotto/Devils Den - Williston, about 70 mins on SR-408 to turnpike to US-27(?) ($30 each per day)
There are other springs more than 2 hours drive from Orlando
Saltwater dives:
Venice/Bradenton - shore dives, about 2.5 hours W on I-4, S on I-75, kind of rocky reefs and sharks teeth
New Smyrna - boat diving with Seadog Charters, ~1 hour drive E I-4, $65 for two tanker
SE Coast - boat and shore diving ~2.5-4 hours drive depending on what you are after, rates from $45-55 for a regular two tanker or free from the shore.

What takes your fancy, and would you like more info on??? Epcot is good, Becky and i enjoyed that last year, but pricey, big aquarium! I can provide links to info on some of those dives when i get back to my work computer that has them all saved, tomorrow!

Depending on your schedule to be in town, there are a few who might be able to dive with you, myself included, ask Murphdive286 and Baitedstorm when i hosted them when Murph was here on a conference. Also up for a dive, just need free time to do it in :wink:

Simon
Thanks for the info, i'm in town the 27th of sept for 3 days on business, i'm trying to decide if I'm going to sat an extra couple of days and go diving. If i have a buddy I don't mind shore diving, thats what i do most of here in california. If you're available to dive that'd be great!

simbrooks:
Blue Spring - Orange City, about 40 mins on I-4 east (state park, $5 entrance i think)

State Parks charge $10 + tax to dive.

Mossym,
I paid my penance in Sunnyvale. The entire time I lived there, I dove once in Monterey Bay, and went for abalone once... water was cold. You'll get spoiled down here. The water is 80-84 degrees... and if the vis is good... you can get 100+... usually I log about 50-60 feet.
You came to the right place to find a dive buddy... check out the Private Trips section and see where people are going... and join in...

Al

Have to check schedule nearer the time, wouldnt be free in the week, but the weekend is another matter!!!

Forgot that the state parks had upped their prices, but i have the annual pass, so i kind of dont notice, nor keep up with the fees as much anymore!

Shore diving here is not quite the same as out there, should still be quite warm in the water (80+), waves hardly ever more than a foot or so (except a big front, probably not in sept/oct) and usually only a short hike from the car park - but you have to tow a dive flag, laughed with Mo2vation about that in the kelp beds being impossible and after diving them myself i can see why :wink: Springs diving is always 72F year round, no chance of manatees at that time of year either, so they should be open for business, most have a bit of a hike to the spring from parking lots, but not too bad. I will find the links tomorrow for you to look at your options around here - depends how far you want to drive to dive.

guys thanks for all the great advice. Right now, i don't see being there for the weekend, but plans change all the time where i work, i don't mind driving a bit, like i said thougn it has to be reachable from my hotel in orlando,the conference is on there so i have to be based out of there, i'm off to check out the private trips forum

one nice thing, i can leave my 7mm at home i would think? 84degrees? i did a night dive in monterey last night, water temp was 51 degrees at 40ft...

okay, so it looks like i will be diving october 1st in florida, it's a friday. Simbrooks, how are Seadog charters? I might have a couple of co-workers to dive with, need to look into that, but if anyoen wants to go diving i'm more than happy to have a local show me the ropes. On another question, what kind of wetsuit is needed, and if went with seadog what do they rent/provide, so i can figure out what i need to bring? If i don't have a dive buddy or can't get some gear i'm thinking of doing the epcot thing...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom