Diving and Radioactive seed Implants-Prostate Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a surgical procedure back in January when I had 70 radioactive seeds implanted into my Prostate gland. This is called "Brachytherapy".

I sustained an apparent "idiopathic" radiation burn and really went through an ordeal in February and March because of swelling to my Prostatic Urethra and was retaining enormous amounts of fluid in my bladder. I had to be catheterized several times and had to learn self-catheterization.

I have healed since then and can urinate freely and feel fine.

I will be in Cozumel for the month of June and plan to dive of course and can't think of any "restrictions" that I might need to adhere to but would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Sy

Hi sytech,

Burns to the bladder and rectum are potential side effects of the placement of radioactive seeds in the prostate.

Feelings of urgency, frequent urination, and slower and weaker urinary streams following brachytherapy are common but typically only temporary. The development of inability to urinate without catheterization is less common but not rare. Complaints off this nature often are the strongest when the radiation from the seeds is the strongest (~2-6 wks after implantation), and then tend to gradually diminish.

Provided that:

1. Any urologic issues problematic to SCUBA resolve completely, and

2. The treating physician clears the diver for return to full physical activity, and specifically to SCUBA, and

3. The diver is in a good state of medical health and fitness, and

4. The diver feels physically and psychologically ready to dive, then...

....there would appear to be no compelling reason not to resume diving.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom