Diving and Dumps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In February of last year I was diagnosed with an early case of prostate cancer. It took until November to get in order to have the radiated seeds implanted in the prostate to rid me of the disease. All is well now. In the meantime there were many exams which entailed shoving various objects into areas not used to having things rammed. Also, the gland was very much oversized than it would be naturally. To cut short the history what I am dealing with is that for the last few months, while the prostate has been healing, I sometimes have an urgent need to head for a commode, no pattern of urgency involved. I plan to go diving soon and I usually do the morning dive, from 8am to noon. I would like to not have a BM during these times. I would like to know if anyone would know if Imodium, taken at around 6am, would have a tendency to counteract this necessity. Or maybe there is another medication I could get that would do this.

Hi Garrobo,
Per our Rad Onc prostate attending physician, Imodium is ok to use, but he and the Rad Onc fellow recommend letting your treating physician know about your condition (if he/she doesn't know already) to ensure that it's nothing that needs to be worked up more thoroughly, e.g. some sort of infection like clostridium difficile. From a diving perspective, there's no problem. You might also consider a bulk former like psyllium or cellulose fiber.

Hi Garrobo,

Before doing anything, you'll want to report this issue to your physician(s).

Taking Imodium (loperamide) is unlikely to help the situation described unless the stools tend to be watery. If they do tend to be liquid, control tends to be better when stool is firm rather than loose so an anti-diarrheal might be of some benefit. BTW, getting adequate amounts and types of fiber in the diet should have much the same effect and is rather more healthful.

Obviously try to have a bowel movement as soon before diving as can be done.

One also should avoid potentially problematic food and drink such as dairy products, fruits such as apples, peaches and pears, those containing caffeine, alcohol or artificial sweeteners, and those that are cured or smoked, spicy or fatty/greasy.

Taking the majority of one's liquids before or after rather than during meals may also help.

The affected individual may wish to discuss with his doctor the advisability of such things as pelvic floor muscle-strengthening exercises.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Wow! Good luck with this. Just in case, I'd head for warm water and just wear shorts. Discuss the challenge with your Op in advance so he'll understand if you call for an immediate break in the water while the boat is moving. I've seen guys take a needed break, floating and holding onto a life ring.

Thanks for the replies. I discussed this with a doctor of internal medicine about a month ago. He told me that this problem comes along with the prostate therapy and should have been told about it before hand. I figure that the urologist did tell me but I was either not paying attention or was getting an information overload. Anyway, the butt guy suggested taking a teaspoon of fiber once or twice a day and he is the one who reccommended the imodium in the morning starting a couple days before dive day and none afterwards. No diarrea is involved so that might help. The other reccommendations you all gave coincide with what both doctors have told me before. Funny things happen when talking to doctors. The urologist says to drink at least a gallon of water each day. The butt guy asks why the hell I am drinking so much water and says to drink when I'm thirsty only. Anyway, I'm heading for Islamorada next Tuesday to get in a couple days of diving and we'll see what happens.Thanks again.

Another alternative as others stated if bowel movement is not regular and watery you can try an all natural pill or powder (FIBER) which can help. Another option may not be the best but certainly better than rushing a dive or being in pain if you dive a drysuit wear (Diapers-depends) I know this may sounds extreme or rediculous but honestly there are several people who wear them when diving dry. It;s an alternative to those that don't like pee-valve or like to be prepared for those sudden situations. I have yet to wear them as I use a pee-valve.

But for me in your situation rather than taking medications which may or may not work, its better than being down 30+ feet and going in suit or being forced to rush out of the water.

a22shady: Yep, I thought of that too. Only I'll be diving wet. I've actually bought a two-piece wet suit to wear just in case. You can imagine the things I've been considering if something comes along when I am down 120 feet on the Eagle or Speigle Grove next week. I suspect that I'd just go about 100 feet from the wreck and yank 'em down and let 'er fly. Not much else you could do except carry it back to the boat in your britches. It's tough getting old Dude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom