Diving and flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the U.K. if I had an incident diving or on the road; transportation, by any mode, is covered by my local NHS. I’ve audited how the Department of Transport recover their costs from the health service.
So you can get a Medivac flight from some remote non-UK site to some non-UK chamber, and your NHS will cover those costs?

Sorry, again my poor mastering of English language kicked in..
What proper adjective do you suggest for countries where no free public health system is available?
No polemics, I am just trying to improve my English, really. I sometimes make this kind of translation errors...
Recently I made a similar translation error with the word "lazy", discovering that in some countries it is an insult (being lazy, instead, is considered a quite nice attribute of a person here - I am VERY LAZY, and very proud of it).

Instead of "in civil countries, not in the USA" which in the USA would be interpreted more as how people generally treat each other, the terms "universal health care" or "national health care" vs "privatized health care" would more specifically describe a country's health care system.

There is a big distinction based on the purpose of travel. If an Italian is abroad for work or for study, our health system covers all sanitary expenses, including transportations. You have to anticipate the expenses, and you are refunded by the Italian state when back in Italy.
If instead you are a tourist, you need to provide for your own health insurance while traveling abroad. That is where DAN comes in, very useful and powerful!
More info (in Italian) here: Rimborso spese sanitarie sostenute all'estero

Helping you with your English again:

I think "medical expenses" would be a better description than "sanitary expenses"

Thanks to all helping me. I am learning a lot here on SB. Not just about diving, also about language and cultural differences.
I apologize for when I misuse some words.
I never wanted to offend anyone...

Helping you with your English again:
I think "medical expenses" would be a better description than "sanitary expenses"

If I understand correctly your remark, sanitary expenses would mean something like "money you pay for toilets or napkins" more or less
That's another "false friend" word LOL

If I understand correctly your remark, sanitary expenses would mean something like "money you pay for toilets or napkins" more or less
That's another "false friend" word LOL

Correct. And may be understood as including soap, paper towels, cleaning disinfectants, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, and some medical supplies.

Moreover, I can do snorkeling all the time I spend there. Freediving I don't know, because I never go freediving alone, so I could do that only if I find a buddy there. Given I am healthy and strong young man (more or less) that should be ok and well within the limits set by PADI and by common sense
I didn't see it mentioned, but mixing free diving and scuba too closely is not considered a great idea either.

I didn't see it mentioned, but mixing free diving and scuba too closely is not considered a great idea either.
I remember of some cases of DCS occurring to free divers during the survey on sites where spearfishing competitions had to be held in the following days.
The survey was often conducted with help of small inflatable boat, and a device called "underwater wing": a wooden table with a long rope, used as a flap while being pulled at reasonable speed by the boat.
With such a device, even a mediocre free diver, as me, can reach considerable depths (20-25 meters) in just 4-5 seconds, spend more than one minute down, and then surface very quickly.
A few breaths, and down again.
This practice caused a number of accidents, so it was forbidden.
So I can see how freediving can cause a significant amount of Nitrogen to get dissolved in your tissues.
Before a flight, I would much prefer to use a CC oxygen rebreather at 6m for one hour, than freediving up and down for one hour breathing air...

In my case I don't go freediving alone and given my best half doesn't do freediving i don't like the idea when i am abroad. Mostly i Just Do snorkeling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom