Diving and Epilepsy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, AllenG,

I have to tell you that everyone I knew was worried about what happened. I got a phone call from Scubadoc. He referred me to a friend of his, Dr. Frank Butler, an ophthalmalogist and ex SEAL--He didn't know me from Adam but provide a "sounding board". and finally, I spoke to the nice folks at DAN. The chamber down here is really quite nice--Had to watch Black Hawk Down three times and I refused to watch Das Boot.

Every single test was negative. No stroke, no aneurysm, no diabetes, no seizure disorder. MRI's were equally negative. The good news is that I do not have MS, Alzheimer's, diabetes, myasthenia gravis, hyperthyroidism, acoustic neuroma. I just got "cockeyes"--double vision which lasted about two weeks. Fortunately, I could converge my eyes and while sometimes difficult, I was able to work. Occasionally at the end of the day, the eyes would give out and I would call it a day early

All deficits are gone completely. My timeline for the "accident" was at nearly 48 hours. But, I did dive and it stuck in the back of my mind that this could be dive related.

My chamber dives started at the 72 hour mark after initial neuro and eye exams. I had to do 2, USN/AF table 6 dives and then followed with two more 2 hour dives over 4 days.

While there was some resolution after the first chamber dive, it quickly dissappeared.

I visited an NeuroOphthalmalogist and he was quick to point out that since I dive nearly every week, winter and summer, I'm never more than 6 days from a dive. This episode occurred at nearly the midpoint.

I'm serious about Nitrox certification. The less N2 I can collect the more helpful it may be.

Am I in denial--don't think so. I've spent some long days thinking about the "accident" and it just doesn't make sense that the cause was a dive. One of the eyedocs still has concerns but the others don't seem to believe there is a connection.

Your concern is truly appreciated. I think I'll be back diving next weekend.

Regards,

Larry Stein

Sounds like you've been poked and prodded up one side and down the other! Nice to hear that they ruled out the biggies (aneurysm, MS, MG, diabetes, tumors). The worsening as the day progressed has that MS or MG sound and those are 2 nasty diseases!

Although somewhat-spontaneous remission is not necessarily uncommon, your good news may suggest something non-systemic. Did they consider environmental or other types of exposures (e.g., botulism, trichlorethylene)?

Diagnostic considerations aside, I am simply pleased to hear that things have been going better for you and hope that it will stay that way!!

Allen

AllenG

The quick resolution probably has nothing to do with spontaneous remission.

The best any doctor has come up is with an eschemic episode. It so happens, that I take a migraine medication which might have this side effect. I did have a "CO2" headache following the dive and I took the medication on the following day. As they say, "Third day's the charm!"

My money's on this but there is no way to prove it. Oh well, if it's anything else, I'm screwed! So I'm thinking positive. Check out the photo on my personal info page--got that cobia the day of the dive--damned near killed me--spun me around about 40 times like a top.

The dive was to 130 feet but I was down only half my allowable time--got the fish and went up--I was ready to go home--I got what I came for, no sense in killing anything else.

Even did a safety stop. We spotted a bull shark circling the wreck before ascending. It made for an interesting ascent.

Regards,

Larry Stein

BTW, any of you single? I have a friend, attorney, DM, beautiful, works at the Court of Appeals and she arranges dive trips to really far away places in her spare time. Hey, if you can't attract them with lobster, there is always the gorgeous attorney trick.

I respect your decision to quit diving for the simple fact that you have a familyof procreation (I am a sociology major). It sucks getting the bad bad news, doesnt it? My deepest sympathies are with you and your family. But guess what, I am still alive and kicking, and I have taken every effort to put the odds on my side. Diving is at all times risky. The key to successfull dives is minimizing risk. The factors I am utilizing to minimize risk are the cold hard facts from my doctor that chances are about 60% that I would never have another seizure doubled with my diving with my brother, a knowledgeable dive buddy with years of emergency medical experience, taking my medicine on time every time to prevent seizures, wearing a full face mask with underwater communications, and the simple fact that I spend maybe one quarter of .0000000000000000000000000000001% of my life physically scuba diving even though I do dive often. Now, can you actually say that that is as in your own words "not very smart"? The name of my game is the same as yours and every other diver in the water. MINIMIZING RISK! Though in this case, I seem to have a slightly higher risk than most people. I am not the only one lying about my condition, I can just about assure you that on just about any dive you go on there are probably people there that havent had there equipment inspected within the last 12 months, there are probably people there with heart conditions that they are not telling about, probably people with epilepsy, and people that for some reason or another could not pass a physical examination for one reason or another, the list goes on and on and on. BTW my family is supporting me in my decision to continue diving, and I have told them that if something should happen to me dont blame anyone but me, I knew the risks and I took them. After all, is life really worth living if you have to live in a room with padded walls in a straight jacket 24/7 just because I have a disability? No, I refuse to let my family pamper me. I do all the things I did before I had my first seizure, but what do I do now when I do them??? TRY TO MINIMIZE RISK !!!!! That seems like a VERY SMART thing to do to me because minimizing risk is the primary focus in every thing I do.

wingflyer152,

We haven't agreed on much regarding your epilepsy but I have to admit I admire your philosophy and zest for life.

Something we CAN agree on...I had to service my gear the other day. Instead of regular service, I've had my gear O2 cleaned and the tanks readied for Nitrox. Unfortunately, Scubapro managed to send the wrong parts so it became necessary for me to borrow gear from my dive buddy. As soon as I put it on things weren't right. Harder to breathe, corrosion on metal parts...so I asked him when he had it serviced and he said two years ago...it's his son's gear and not used much.

Your statement that there are unknown divers out there with undisclosed medical conditions and poorly serviced gear is so true. Trust no one but yourself. Even you "buddy" can be a liability. My buddy is a great diver, strong as an ox, a supurb boatsman and a royal pain in the butt. His achilles heal is that he is a know it all--yet he knows nothing. He can't do a quick repair on his gear on the boat. If an O ring blows on the boat there is an 80% chance it was his tank or DIN valve. I am sure that he could pull me out of a dangerous situation and drag me onto the boat. He can outswim us all but he is clueless or in denial about the technicalities of the equipment he uses. I'm the repair guy on the boat. Another diver on the boat is good with the motors

I chewed his butt out. Disuse is as damaging if not more so than heavy use. At least the parts stay lubricated in used equipment. I had to shame him into getting his gear serviced and it's under lifetime warrantee for parts. What's the big deal. He has spare gear so he won't be without. This guy will get free parts for life if he services his gear once a year--what's the problem!

I'll bet that you, with your extra special requirements for facemasks, communications, etc have it checked twice a year--perhaps more for the electronics. I do because I do up to 100 dives a year. My bag has two sets of gear. All are within 6 months of service at any time.

Your statement about minimizing risk is true. This sport is not 100% safe but you sure don't want to participate if it's 75% safe either.

I went back to the LDS last week and borrowed back my unserviced gear. It was in better shape than my buddies and I knew where everything was. Now it's fixed so I get to rely on properly operating equipment. I'm still waiting on two regs but I have two servicable one ready now.

Good luck to you. If we ever meet, all I ask is that you let me know how to help in the event I am needed.

Regards,

Larry Stein

Yes it is true that I have all of my gear serviced on a basis of at least once a year. In my book that is the only way to be.

Hi Scubaperro,

scubaperro:
if you have siezures, isnt wearing a helmet straped to your head safe enough

In a word, "No." Seizures can involve confusion, disorientation and loss of consciouness, leaving the diver out of control. This could result in sinking to extreme depths, ascending to the surface too rapidly, being struck by a passing craft and other dangerous situations.

Additionally, the last post in the thread to which you have just responded is dated Aug of '02.

Given that it is now over 4 1/2 years old, you may wish to PM or email the original participants.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I noticed this archived thread come up today, and wondered if scubaperro had found it thru a Search, wondered if s/he may have a personal concern here? If so, you might open a new thread in this forum and present it...??

Not sure what's up, Don, but the seriously dated thread issue can be seen with scubaperro's post in the other epilepsy and diving thread a few lines down the page.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom