Diving after SARPE jaw surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomerG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had SARPE surgery early June, which means I had my upper jaw cut into pieces so that and extension device could widen my palate, the medical term is "Segmental osteoplasty of Maxilla".
Right after surgery my doctor told me I have to be careful blowing my nose as the tissues are still recovering and I could definitely feel that. At this point my bones aren't fully healed but I'm eating as usual with no pain or discomfort.
I'm mainly concerned about 2 things:
A) Pressure underwater - could it hurt my recovery?
B) Equalizing - I'm not sure how I can tell if my tissues are back to normal and in diving condition.

I do intend to ask my dentist and surgeon on my next check-up this month but since neither of them dive I'm not sure if they'll have an answer.

Thanks in advance!

I've had SARPE surgery early June, which means I had my upper jaw cut into pieces so that and extension device could widen my palate, the medical term is "Segmental osteoplasty of Maxilla".
Right after surgery my doctor told me I have to be careful blowing my nose as the tissues are still recovering and I could definitely feel that. At this point my bones aren't fully healed but I'm eating as usual with no pain or discomfort.
I'm mainly concerned about 2 things:
A) Pressure underwater - could it hurt my recovery?
B) Equalizing - I'm not sure how I can tell if my tissues are back to normal and in diving condition.

I do intend to ask my dentist and surgeon on my next check-up this month but since neither of them dive I'm not sure if they'll have an answer.

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend that you not dive until you are fully recovered (including the bones being completely healed) and cleared by your surgeon. This is not my area of expertise, but just from the reading I've done, the proximity of the surgery to the maxillary sinuses could introduce the possibility of dysfunction of the maxillary meatus (the opening of the maxillary sinus). Tagging @doctormike , our resident ENT.

Best regards,
DDM

Consult your surgeon, Consult DAN.
Default; wait until you are healed.

FYI, I had upper jaw surgery 30+ years ago. 4 plates and 10 screws still in there. Little different than what you have, forgot all the details as it was so long ago. But no long term issues.

Right, I agree with @Duke Dive Medicine (as always!). The question will be if you are able to equalize your maxillary sinuses. So it would make sense - once you are healed - to take a mask in to a swimming pool and see if you can equalize, before doing any actual diving. And then - just like for any diver - don't descend if you are having any midfacial pain. Stop, maybe ascend a bit, and if you can't equalize, thumb the dive.

Thank you for the detailed responses!
Full recovery and fusion of my bones can take up to 6 months and I'd really like to dive before that, but if my surgeon would advise against that than obviously I'll wait.
@doctormike That's a really good idea! When I try to equalize on land I feel the "regular" resistance but under pressure it might not be as easy.

I might comment again after I've had my checkup so someone in the future may find it useful.

I heard back from one of our surgeons who performs this procedure. He actually cuts through the maxillary sinus, and recommends at least four weeks if not six before diving. Of course there are individual factors and you should follow the recommendations of your own surgeon.

Best regards,
DDM

I heard back from one of our surgeons who performs this procedure. He actually cuts through the maxillary sinus, and recommends at least four weeks if not six before diving. Of course there are individual factors and you should follow the recommendations of your own surgeon.

Best regards,
DDM
I'm about 5 and a half weeks past my surgery but thanks for the reply. I'll post back after I hear from my surgeon in a week.

I'm about 5 and a half weeks past my surgery but thanks for the reply. I'll post back after I hear from my surgeon in a week.

Please do, it will be interesting to hear from another perspective. Thanks!

So the promised update: my orthodontist thought that one month after I've finished expanding my palate (a daily routine of turning a small screw) should be enough but my surgeon recommended waiting at least 3 months after I've finished expanding to allow the bones to fuse properly since they do actually cut open the sinus. I assume putting pressure on the tissues (while equalizing) when the bone hasn't healed yet might be problematic.
So in short - wait 4 months after the surgery. Still 2 months to go then...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom