Diving after heart attack and quad bypass surgury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I had a heart attach and quad bypass this past summer. I am going to GC to dive again for the first time since the op this March. The doctors have cleared me for diving.Cold seems to affect me more since my operation. In the past at GC I have only wore a shirt. My question is "Has anyone else had my issues and had to increase what they wear to stay comfortable in the water?"

I'm more cold sensitive due to a laundry list of medical reasons. I splurged on the thickest dry suit underwear I could find and am quite comfy diving in NorCal waters year round.

I lived & dove in North Carolina when I was going to school & suspect a good wet suit should be fine for you.

No reason to be uncomfortable, suit up and have fun.

PS oops, re-read and realize you are asking about GC, where I haven't dove. I suspect my conclusion is still valid, get a wet suit and enjoy.

I dove in GC two years ago and even though I'm very cold tolerant I wore a 3 mil NeoSport X-span wet suit. Great flexibility and very comfortable!! I have worn it on many Caribbean dives. I am diving in Aruba in 2 weeks and Ill wear it there.

Hi NCBAMAFAN63,

Thermal comfort is idiosyncratic, so beware of one size fits all advice.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "7mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You should receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect GC water temps in March of about 80 plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp I'd take a 3mm full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up. Also, take a hood or beanie.

Regards,

DocVikingo

An interesting question. I had a a triple bypass last summer after a heart attack. I try to limit my diving to places with a water temp of at least 80 degrees. Until last year I dove only in a t shirt and at most a fleece. On dive trips I usually put in 4 dives a day. Last February I was in Fiji and noticed I was shivering during dives after the first day or so. I came home and ordered a custom wet suit shirt (not willing to go whole hog) I used it in Cocoview in May and was comfortable. Heart attack came in June. I think my heart was less efficient prior to the bypass hence the cold feeling. I just got cleared this week to resume diving so I'm off to cocoview for my annual visit. At any rate I'm just saying that in my case I think the increased sensitivity to cold was being caused by the less efficient heart. I figure I was having A FIB events for the yr prior to the attack. Good luck in your return to diving. I like the suggestions of a 3 mil or thereabouts. Better safe than sorry. Oh, and by the way, staying warm makes you MUCH more efficient in your air usage. Shivering sucks the air right out of your tank.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom