Diving after Fifty??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing Rescue this summer in my 60th year. I ride the road bike hard at least five days a week, ski way too fast in the winter, and dive when we can get away. When my activity level gets down to about 50%, and I can't do these things, I'll pop a cyanide capsule and reach for the handgun ... or is the other way around? Anyway, that's decades away ...

Tried Denali a couple of weeks ago at 61--granted, it kicked my old butt really hard and I didn't come near the summit. After that, even Ed Hayes and Fundies isn't particularly scary.

I guess I gotta chime in on this one........I haven't even certified YET! and I'm 54

I got re-certified at age 59, after a 30 year hiatus. This was after a TIA that caused me to lose 6 hours of my life. Fortunately my Doctor is a diver and he signed off.

Have accumulated over 200 dives in the past 3 years - and I'm not intending to slow down any time soon. Great incentive for losing weight and working out a couple of times a week, when not diving.

Heck - my equipment is about to be 50 years old

Last edited:
50 is the new 40.
So nobody over 40 should dive anymore.

If your over fifty, your warrantee has expired (snip)
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
I purchased an extended warranty around 29 when I sat up in the middle of the street after a 2 wheeled wreck. Still makin payments:rofl3:

My grandmother dove into her 70's. The only thing that stopped her from going after that was that even with help getting in and out of the boat became too difficult.

Hack weeze weeze weeze, all this geezer talk made me put on tennyrunners for the first time in years. Was shocked to see the 1/4 mile marker and still pickin em up. Even made the half before needing CPR (had to walk home without it tho) I'm not as bad off as I thought AND since most of my diving will be beach entry at well under a half mile, I'm still interested.

Re OP: Sounds like sloppy journalism. I cannot think that I have ever read a professional recommendation not to dive after 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom