Diving after Fifty??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

litlhouse

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just read the article in Cyber Diver about Donald Sutherland bursting a blood vessel in his lungs while diving for his new movie. The article indicates that diving after fifty is not recommended. Can anyone fill me in on this? :confused:

Yup time to climb on an ice berg and float off to sea!

Sorry couldn't resist.

I dove with people in their 60's. I'm sure others will give better reponses.

One of my dive friends is over 70--didn't get certified till 70. I'm 56. I can't imagine why aged lungs should burst--keep them pliable.

Whole long thread already going on this one. I don't know how to do a link to it though.

You know, I doubt I have anything to worry about until at least 85. My people all live to be a hundred and something. I plan on going out in style anyways.

If you smoke, if your in poor shape, if your "fragile" or have had tuberculosis or other lung complications including pneumonia or injury then you might worry. Otherwise, go dive and quit being a nannyboy.

N

50? Ahhh, you're gonna be dead soon anyway, what could it hurt?

Ok, seriously, if yu abused the crap out of your body, you prolly have alot to worry about, and not just from diving. But I think the average healthy 50 year old has nothing to worry about, aside from the idea that diving puts additional stress on the ticker, so make sure your's is good to go.

I would bet that Sutherlund's doc is not that up on dive medicine. Lots of docs think it is much worse than it is.

Just read the article in Cyber Diver about Donald Sutherland bursting a blood vessel in his lungs while diving for his new movie. The article indicates that diving after fifty is not recommended. Can anyone fill me in on this? :confused:

Here's a guy well into his 70's---was my dive buddy for about half our dives last summer in Little Cayman.....he made all the depths(resort imposed 100' max 1st dive of the day, 70' thereafter)......Wife & I rode all the way back to Houston @ the end of the week with him & last we heard he was alive & kicking in Alexandria, Louisiana.......(don't look it up, but,... some people die falling out their bathtub......stop & think about it, there's probably only 1 better way to geaux).........

IMG_1656008.jpg
[/quote]

LOL. I would estimate that the AVERAGE age of a diver on Grand Cayman is about 50. Lots of folks in their 60s and some in their 70s are diving here. I am sure a thorough investigation would turn up 1 or 2 over 80.

You need to come play with us when the pager goes off. Then we can show you what diving over 50 is really like.

Some people shouldn’t be diving over 20 or 30. If someone had tried to pull the plug on me at 50 they would have been hand cuffed to the boat as it filled up and went down.

IMHO it wasn’t the diving that caused his problem but his overall physical condition and a doctor looking for something to blame it on.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom