Rare inflammatory response in diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks for the article. I wonder how they test for protein leaking out of your blood vessels. Great doc taking time to figure it all out.

Since SCLS is a symptom of DCS, I am guessing the treatment was the same in a Decompression chamber? The article is not very clear. Just says
"SCLS is often deadly, but the fact that the team quickly diagnosed the problem, resuscitated the man and treated the inflammatory cascade..," Ataya said."

Edit - Added a link that talks more about SCLS.

This article is notable for what it doesn't tell us. How was the diagnosis made? What studies were done that suggested it was "an extreme form of an inflammatory response due to diving [or anything else]?" How was it treated, as an inflammatory disease, as a patient in shock or in a hyperbaric chamber?

There are numerous cause of SCLS, which is not always "a severe form of inflammation." There is also Idiopathic SCLS (cause unknown), which is very rare. Did the treating physicians do all of the studies to rule out known causes? There is no clue in the article.

Given the lack of information about this case, it seems to me that we need not worry that diving can cause SCLS outside of DCS.

I am not a dive physician.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom