Diving after a Barotrauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DenverCoJeff

Reaction score
Hey Dr. Deco!

Question on diving after a barotrauma. Last year I experienced a barotrauma in my left ear. At my checkup the doc saw some blood in there and recommended a several month layoff. I haven't been back in the water (not much choice here in Colorado) since then.

I'm a little concerned about whether I will be able to continue to dive. I suppose I could check it by trying the valsalvo method in a local pool... Any suggestions? As a relatively new diver, I'd hate to have to give up the sport!!

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,
I don't know about the inner ear, but last summer I suffered a sinus barotrauma 2x, and pretty severe. I was told by a LDS instructor that I was probably clearing too hard and forcefully too late upon descending, and to TRY and equalize BEFORE it became painful and the pressure was too great to do so easily. Upon trying this, I have not had any problems. I now equalize ever few feet BEFORE pressure becomes to severe and so I don't have to blow so hard which creates the barotraumas and bleeding.

Hope this helps...

I have taken the liberty of redirecting your inquiry to the Diving Medicine forum as it appears more a medical matter than one relating to the scientific aspects of decompression. Dr. Deco will still see it.

It is not uncommon for divers to sustain a mild barotrauma to an ear over the course of their diving history, and the vast majority are able to return to scuba. Based on your very brief description, it sounds like yours was not particularly severe.

The most prudent course of action in such a situation is to recontact the treating physician and seek clearance to dive. In some cases, a phone call will suffice.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom