diving accident in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either i had not gotten down that far in the posts (mostl likely);or when i posted both the divers' histories were not here yet. I have not dived the sight (i live in mindanao) but it does not sound like a place for "heavyweights only." And a person about to become a rescue diver should certainly should be able to handle the conditions that are described as being typical there. 13 logged dives ain't a whole lot of experience, but diving in a reasonably easy, "fun dive" oriented locale with someone who is close to being a rescue diver should not result in two fatalities. I think the operative here is two fatalities. It seems pretty obvious that something happened that overwhelmed two divers, one very experience. The gas embolism (AGE) hypothesis sounds the most plausible to me. A rapid ascent from 18 m could, theoetically at least cause a micro embolism. Depending on where such a "bubble" occurred, it couid cause a neurological reaction and result in sudden paralysis or palsy.

Of course, I'm not sure that hypothesis holds a lot a water to explain the negative outcome of two divers...and the more experienced one, seeing a partner shoot for the surface....with a presumably inflated bcd...would probably not have shot for the surface for than a few meters to catch her---because he would know that she might experience an embolism and he would be the only non-embolismed person around to render assistance.

Accdg to previous posts the guy was an advanced diver and about to take his rescue diver certification while the girl is an open water diver with 13 logged dives.

In a report of the local PNP dated May 22, 2011, a copy of which was shown to me, the male victim was described as "Open Water Diver (PADI) with License card # 051A53903" and the female, "Advance enrich air diver (PADI) with card # 1008AV0297" I presume the info was based on the C-cards found among the victims belongings. Can somebody clarify what the latter certification means, is it equivalent to AOW + nitrox?

Either i had not gotten down that far in the posts (mostl likely);or when i posted both the divers' histories were not here yet. I have not dived the sight (i live in mindanao) but it does not sound like a place for "heavyweights only." And a person about to become a rescue diver should certainly should be able to handle the conditions that are described as being typical there. 13 logged dives ain't a whole lot of experience, but diving in a reasonably easy, "fun dive" oriented locale with someone who is close to being a rescue diver should not result in two fatalities. I think the operative here is two fatalities. It seems pretty obvious that something happened that overwhelmed two divers, one very experience. The gas embolism (AGE) hypothesis sounds the most plausible to me. A rapid ascent from 18 m could, theoetically at least cause a micro embolism. Depending on where such a "bubble" occurred, it couid cause a neurological reaction and result in sudden paralysis or palsy.

Of course, I'm not sure that hypothesis holds a lot a water to explain the negative outcome of two divers...and the more experienced one, seeing a partner shoot for the surface....with a presumably inflated bcd...would probably not have shot for the surface for than a few meters to catch her---because he would know that she might experience an embolism and he would be the only non-embolismed person around to render assistance.

You make valid observations. What could have triggered such extreme panic in 2 divers for them to both shoot up and spit out their working regulators which are connected to tanks with 2000 and 1800 psi? I believe it is next to impossible for 2 of even the newest newbies, to simply go down, panic and get killed in only 12 minutes with plenty of air in their tanks, at least not in twin rocks.

You make valid observations. What could have triggered such extreme panic in 2 divers for them to both shoot up and spit out their working regulators which are connected to tanks with 2000 and 1800 psi? I believe it is next to impossible for 2 of even the newest newbies, to simply go down, panic and get killed in only 12 minutes with plenty of air in their tanks, at least not in twin rocks.

I agree that it is next to impossible for two experienced divers to just panic and and die especially in a fairly easy site such as Twin Rocks.

Thats why I still hold on to my theory that there could have been an equipment malfunction, at least with the girl. Other than extreme panic, what else could cause the girl to ascend with a fully inflated bcd?

Could bad air be a factor? I really hope we are able to learn the cause of death because it is very concerning to read through these posts, realizing these two were fairly well trained, and pretty experienced (at least the male was), and then get into the water as a new diver.

In a report of the local PNP dated May 22, 2011, a copy of which was shown to me, the male victim was described as "Open Water Diver (PADI) with License card # 051A53903" and the female, "Advance enrich air diver (PADI) with card # 1008AV0297" I presume the info was based on the C-cards found among the victims belongings. Can somebody clarify what the latter certification means, is it equivalent to AOW + nitrox?

To be certified as PADI Nitrox diver, one has to be at least PADI AOW Diver, because of the deep dive requirement.

To be certified as PADI Nitrox diver, one has to be at least PADI AOW Diver, because of the deep dive requirement.

Not true- I am PADI OW & Enriched Air. We were not required to do any dives for the Enriched Air cert. Maybe this has changer recently? I did it in November 2010.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom