diving accident in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there. The unconscious female diver was towed to shore by a guide from the boat nearest where they both surfaced. The other was seen descending right after but this was not reported immediately. About 40 minutes of CPR was applied by at least 3 individuals on deck until the ambulance stretcher arrived. Only halfway during the resuscitation was it reported on deck that she had another companion. A search was made of which I was one of the volunteers but due to previous dives the search was limited. The following day the other victim was discovered at 90 feet only after 10 minutes of searching from shore. According to the victims's declaration at the resort, the female had 13 logged dives and the male had 70. They brought their own gear but rented tanks. They were supposed to meet their DM the following day for a boat dive and decided to make a shore dive that day and did not engage the services of the resort's guide. The female victim had water in her lungs when resuscitation was attempted and her BCD fully inflated while in the water, reg out of mouth, mask missing. The male victim had no air in his BCD and found lying face down. Current was mild during the two days and there were many intro divers and other boats moored bringing in divers from other resorts. I share this info based on my own personal knowledge with the hope something can be learned from this. Without knowing the exact cause of the tragedy, I can only say proper training, proper equipment, presence of mind, and regular diving are essential to safe diving.

I've been through some dangerous scrapes before in Mainit, Bahura and Beatrice, but "stop, breathe, think and act" has saved me through them all. I feel things could have been different for them if they just remembered their training. This thread would not have been necessary.

Vaya con Dios, Rest in Peace......

QUOTE "stop, breathe, think and act" has saved me through them all. I feel things could have been different for them if they just remembered their training. This thread would not have been necessary.

Vaya con Dios, Rest in Peace......[/QUOTE]

definetly agree from personal experience too. Proper training is the KEY to safe diving

Last edited:
Training is important.
But how one reacts to situation is something else.
Some divers shouldn't be diving and so are plenty drivers!!

I'm a relatively new diver, having learned in in the Philippines in the last 3 months or so. I have an ow and aad certificate and I am comfortable in the water, but I'm still new enough and cautious enough to know that I should not dive without a dm unless I've been in a particular locale several times with a dm and he/she has told me what to look out for, e.g., tricky/strong currents. I know from diving in the davao gulf that tides can turn a 'fun dive' into...at the very least...a challenge.

The little bit of info from the comp shows a max depth of 28 m, then a straight shot to the surface from about 18m or so., None of the depths, in and of themselves indicate that it wasnt a no dec dive, but the straight assent fron 18m (and not everyone does a safety stop 100% of the time) might indicate that there was a problem. A "problem" combined with strong currents and exhausted/out of air divers can turn 'a concern' into something serious. Can't say if a dm would've made a difference, but three in the water--one very experienced--might have meant that this story would never have happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom