diving accident in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The presense or absense of a DM in this incident is complete irrelevant. The individual skills of two supposedly trained and competant divers is the issue.

I agree with this statement. DM/ guides can also make mistakes. You as a diver have to know yourlimits. Plan your dive and dive your plan.

I personally know of an incident where three people died and four other people got bent because they followed the divemaster/ guide to a depth deeper that what the plan was. Divers have to learn and practice their skills to be independent of other people for help. If you are taking new diver out for a dive, you should be capable of dealing with the worst scenario. This accident was tragic. We will never know what really happened.

Matthew:
Thanks for the link. I am just curious as to which part/s of the article you find dissapointing?

Here they are...

Article:
diving as a major tourist attraction has yet to live up to its full potential due to several factors—chief among them, safety. The incident in San Teodoro is a case in point. The problem is that little is being done to prevent similar “drownings” from recurring in Mabini and elsewhere in the country.

This appears to be the thesis of the article: that more action on the part of the government would be helpful / useful.

Article:
although in the case of one of them there is reason to doubt the authenticity of the certification course she had purportedly undergone. After just 14 dives, she was reportedly certified—by a still unnamed scuba diving agency—as an “advanced open water” diver, a claim that quickly raised the eyebrows of more experienced scuba enthusiasts.

Implying that AOW has an experience requirement which it does not, and giving far too much credence to the credentials implied by a c-card.

Article:
whose owners are said to include a former party-list lawmaker.

I imagine that if I lived there, I would understand why the paper wishes to involve the political connection of the owners in the article, though it appears irrelevant to the incident. This is one of a number of statements that allude to an underlying political slant to the paper instead of focusing on the accident.

Article:
Although they were unfamiliar with the two dive sites—called The Barge and Twin Rocks—in Planet Dive’s house reef, the two divers reportedly declined an offer to have a guide accompany them underwater. On the strength of the certification cards the two divers presented, they were allowed to enter the water on their own.

As though it is unusual to dive a new site without a guide, and within the resort's power to disallow the divers from diving where they wish.

Article:
first-timers, however, might be driven to panic by the jacks’ tendency to swarm divers, albeit harmlessly.

Perhaps I do not understand how scary these fish are. But I would imagine that very few certified divers would panic just because of proximity to fish.

Article:
They claimed that her dive computer showed that she had descended well beyond the “no-decompression” depth of 10 meters, or about 60 feet, and then went on a quick, uncontrolled ascent.

"no-decompression" depth?

Article:
Retrieved by other divers and resort staff, the woman reportedly showed signs of decompression sickness, or DCS, a disorder also called “the bends” that affects divers who have breathed air from their tank compressed to levels much, much higher than surface pressure.

The DCS symptoms I am familiar with generally require the person to be conscious to confirm them. Aside from incontinence and death, I am not sure what symptoms the author feels the staff observed.

Article:
The woman, who already showed disfiguring signs of embolism, was declared dead on arrival when brought to hospital.

As though embolism usually has a slow onset, and this was an unusually severe case that appeared quickly.

Article:
an investigation needs to be done on whichever agency had given the woman her “advanced open water” certification after logging just 14 dives... without giving her enough self-sufficiency and survival skills—as indicated by her panicky rapid ascent.

A clear misunderstanding of the structure and purpose of this certification.

Article:
Also, even if the woman had suffered DCS, she still would have had a fighting chance to live had there been a hyperbaric or recompression chamber nearby...can be reached only after an hour and a half of driving on the winding hillside roads of Mabini

As though most dive sites have chambers within < 2h.

Article:
The divers who perished in Mabini were victims probably of improper training and certainly of inadequate health and safety facilities.

There is no evidence to support this. We do not know what sequence of events triggered the tragedy, nor heard any evidence that equipment failure was ruled out or really had any reasonable body of evidence to support the conclusion that they are victims of their training; nor is it apparent to me how different health or safety facilities could have avoided the tragedy. These divers were DOA, and no amount of health or safety equipment, even if it was on the shore itself, would have changed that.

Osric

DevonDiver:
Bad journalism, but nothing worse than usual when reporters fail to do any real research about scuba.

This is probably a fairer assessment than mine. Having seen multiple times how badly my own words can get mangled by the press, I should be more forgiving and focus on the things the article reported reasonably accurately as far as we can tell.

Osric

I agree with this statement. DM/ guides can also make mistakes. You as a diver have to know yourlimits. Plan your dive and dive your plan.

5 dives ago, I had a Padi DM panic while dive buddying with me. Where would that leave all those who would never dive without a DM?
How would you respond to a DM who has had both his mask and regulator kicked off and is in panic?

We need to learn to dive independently of a baby sitter, then utilize safe diving practices, which usually includes team diving skills.

Here is a disappointing article filled with potential misinformation and political hype to push the paper's perspective on this unfortunate accident and what should be done about it.

Scuba

Osric
So the chamber in Subic is in service!

Seems that the implications of many "contributors" to this thread are that a DM would have prevented this incident. As has been pointed out the titles attributed to the various levels of training mean little if the diver has done nothing more. For example an Advanced Open Water diver with 13 or 14 dives would have done at least 9 of those under direct supervision of an instructor and at least 4 of those in "ideal" conditions. The buddy with 70 dives is being described as an experienced diver a term thrown around often and in most cases as meaningless as the Advanced Open Water title - HOWEVER as a point to be made a DM is also just a title, sure they have completed a higher level of theory and supposedly demonstrated competence in a variety of skills (usually in calm conditions) but they may actually have less dives than the "experienced" buddy.

Unfortunately the best that can be determined from this dive will be a speculation based on autopsies (assuming that the results are ever released, and if they are, that the autopsies were done under conditions appropriate for scuba autopsy - such as opening cavities under water to observe gas buildups) as the only witnesses are not going to talk. However, if the theory being put forward is close to correct (ie run away ascent with the buddy trying to slow her and both succumbing to explosive DCI/AGE) then it is equally as likely that the only thing that would have happened if a DM was present is that there would have been a third person involved in a runaway ascent. DMs are not superheroes, they are not Gods, they are simply divers that have some level of training to SUPERVISE qualified divers. Would you expect a safari guide in Africa to be able to prevent someone tripping and falling in elephant dung ... no ?? So why is it that everyone is assuming that an underwater guide will automatically be able to stop someone from ending up in the **** underwater.

With 1000+ dives under my weightbelt I consider myself to have accumulated a number of experiences but still I am a long way from experienced.

Until now the government agency , Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Divng tasked with the investigation has not released any report. The resort's staff who accompanied the male victim's body to the funeral parlor reported seeing two small holes on each side of the neck behind and below the ears. This would seem to support the theory that he tried to go after the other diver in a rapid ascent. Because the other diver's BCD was fully inflated and on the surface and the male victim was seen also momentarily on the surface only to sink back to the bottom, then AGE would have been cause of death. The rapid ascent may have been caused by pressing the inflator hose at depth too long or by mistake instead of deflating. I personally asked their friend who with them at the resort (the family came 2 weeks later to offer church service at the resort) and he reported that the female victim's last dive was May of 2010 and that this tragic dive was supposed to be a "refresher" dive with the other male victim.

With 1000+ dives under my weightbelt I consider myself to have accumulated a number of experiences but still I am a long way from experienced.

That's the right perspective.

Interesting observations. Many of the snippets seem made by someone who is not a diver and/or has little understanding of either diving physiology and/or diving certification. On the issue of AOW, I have a question or statement. I'm a relatively new diver of a little under 6 months experience and I have about 40 dives under my belt. I have SDI OW cert and also their AAD cert. and both advanced open water (AOW) boyancy and navigation cards. I would not consider myself a very experienced diver, though I would say I'm 'competent.' I would not enter a new site without either a DM or someone whose experience I knew and respected who, also, had previously dived the site before me. That being said, although I believe you when you said AOW cert. does not have an experiential requirement, I find it somewhat incredulous (unless the so experienced diver had a "gift from God" vis a vis scuba diving skills) that someone could obtain, OW, AAD and AOW certs in a total of 14 dives. Not saying it's absolutely impossible; let's just say it 'taxes credulity.'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom